Post by lough3969 »

Noice... :thumbright:
Pimps in the Front
Hoes in the Back
Chumps in the Trunk

68 Dart Post
Blue

Post by Blue »

Whoa, now there's something I didn't think had ever been built. I was seriously considering building a '71 Dart wagon at one time, They were never made in the US. I always thought the Aussie wagons used thier own front end sheet metal rather than mixing and matching like they did in the US to create different models cheaply. Was this a one year only deal?
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Blue

Post by Blue »

Ah Sarth Ifrica, I see. Never been able to find out much about there varients, google brings up virtually nothing.
MattH

Post by MattH »

The South African Valiant Charger is the same shell as a 71 Demon. There is (was) one in Watford a few years ago. Slant six I think, but it was not in good shape.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Looks like VE wagon with their south African charger front end
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

So what's the situation with these old cars in SA? Are they still around or is there just no interest in old cars there? I've not heard of anyone shipping anything back from there since the days of Perana Capris.
MattH

Post by MattH »

One Chevrolet Firenza has ended up here, but thats been here many years now. Not sure what the SA scene is like.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

MattH wrote:The South African Valiant Charger is the same shell as a 71 Demon. There is (was) one in Watford a few years ago. Slant six I think, but it was not in good shape.
The S/A valiant charger has the duster tailpanel and light cluster. So I guess it'd be more accurate to say it's a Duster shell with dart/demon front sheet metal. :thumbright:

According to my Serth Ifrican mate they weren't very popular and tended to be very high spec inside - console / buckets etc and most were a /6 with a very tiny proportion getting the 318.
My pal tells me the "Valiant Regal" (plymouth valiant 4 door) was a much more common sight.

I love the look of the dart wagon. I know a couple of convertibles have been built over the pond but I had no idea a "valiant safari" even existed? :read2:
-Jon.
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Brown VF wagon down the bottom of this page...
Has all the chrome around the windows etc... only addition seems to be the wind deflectors on the E posts. I'd imagine dart sheet metal would bolt right on looking at the construction of the engine bay of some of the sedans.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50415738@ ... 8495/page2
-Jon.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

The Can Am Firenze has been here for a few years, as has the XR8 Sierra up here. It is on my website (but other websites are available).

There was an XW Fairmont GT here in the U.K.. Advertised in the AAC newsletter many moons ago and I went to see it way darn sarf of t'M25. Original owner who had fitted an XY bonnet and shaker and still had the XW bonnet as well. I kick myself for not buying it but it was early t'internet days and I had no idea about parts etc. Ironically when the price of XW/XY Falcon GT's shot through the roof mid-oughties the Fairmont GT's became really popular in Australia and many got shipped over there. The guy who bought the XW got in touch (and it is on my we.... etc, etc) but then he took it to Canada. The Seth Efrican police used the XY GT's as Porsche chasers long before Ford USA used the old 5.0 (This Ford chases Porsche's for a living) Mustang for the same purpose. That XW remains the smoothest idling American V8 I have ever seen. Disappointing if you wanted to see the shaker shake.

A guy up here has an Aus TC Cortina with the 250ci six in it and I have heard that someone up here has an XR6 Cortina as well. That is the MkV or TE Cortina with a 3.0 Essex V6. It may be the same guy as he is a bit of a Cortina collector and has a S.A. backie MkIII Cortina too.

Plus, there are the two Perana Granada that came in a few years ago and were in the magazine.
Dodge This, Cat That

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

get the impression that SA is much the same as Australia in respect to old cars

those near the beach rust

the rest last for a long time but tend to be mechanically worn out.

issue these days is the fact that you need to get it out through a port that is usually part of a very big city, filled with a few people who feel that you owe them some money and a few others who would like to sell your car again to someone else and don't really care what they need to do in order for that to happen.

you need a friend on the ground already

I have a few South African mates, half of south Africa lives in Twickenham.
they visit reasonably regularly and yes I have enquired about Valiants. they are still seen from time to time. all of them knew what my car was but hadn't seen a coupe version. their charger was a dodge and it looked like a demon

earlier variants were Aussie bodies assembled in SA but they also imported either US or south American parts (hence slant 6 motors well after the aussies stopped using them)

here is Southafrican ebay

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/category/Category.jsp

choose cars

choose years 60s and 70s

then home in on dodge or chrylser

auto trader

http://www.autotrader.co.za/?gclid=CjwK ... oCn4jw_wcB

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying