Line Lock question

Moderator: Moderators

Demon James

Line Lock question

Post by Demon James »

I've just posted the latest on a 68 dart we've bought and after a brief but full on late season blast at Santa Pod, I have a question regarding the line lock.

After various brake bleeding methods (vac and traditional pushing) I still have a soft pedal.

I have read other posts on different sites relating to difficult bleeding of Wilwwod calipers but my question is more on the effect of line lock.

When I press the pedal down, it's kind of soft, then press the line lock button, then lift off the brake and press it down again. It is now rock solid. I let go of the line lock button and the pedal stays firm and solid.

Is this normal for line lock operation? Just thought I'd ask.

I have moved the line lock solenoid from its current location, above the master cylinder, to a new location so that it is now below the level of the master cylinder.

This came about as the car will jump forward when staged if I hold the revs up to 2500. I dont use line lock to hold on the line, just my foot on the brake but as I pre-stage, then lift off slightly to stage, the pedal goes soft and I have trouble keeping the car there before the green light.

Any thoughts? I haven't raced the car since moving the solenoid down but the brakes still feel the same as before.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Once you engage the line lock, if you press the pedal again it should have less travel, as in that situation you are only operating the rear brakes you have taken the fronts out of the equation. Sounds to me like you still have air in the front brakes, willwood brakes have 4 bleed nipples on each caliper, and you do need to bleed all of them.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Demon James

Post by Demon James »

Cheers Blue, I only bled the top two on each side based on a novice approach that air would be at the top if there was any :oops:

I had read a few conflicting views, as ever with the internet :lol: , which led me to leave the four lower points alone.

I will refit my bleed assistant to the front seat when he's finished school and have another go :thumbright: Thanks mate and catch up next month for Chrissy pud.
Demon James

Post by Demon James »

"Q: How do I bleed a multi-piston Caliper with the four-bleed screws?
A:

After the master cylinder has been bled, begin bleeding the calipers starting with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder, usually the right rear and start with the upper outside nipple, then move to the upper inside nipple (never bleed the lower nipples). Repeat the process with each wheel, moving successively toward the wheel closest to the master cylinder. For best results the upper nipples should be pointing straight up because air migrates to the top of the chamber. If you have any questions, please contact a Wilwood Sales Technician at 805-388-1188 or email Sales/Tech Support."

This is what I had read on the Wilwood site but couldn't find a reason to specifically not bleed the lower nipples :dontknow:
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

james try and bleed the lower nipples............... then report on here what happened

:lol:
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

the lower nipple are there as the caliper fit quite a few different cars and they would be the upper nipples on a different application
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes logic would suggest you would suggest you would only need the upper nipples, but that's not my experience. Sometimes gravity bleeding is a good solution when you've got air trapped somewhere. All you need to do to bleed that way is a length of tube and a jar with a bit of fluid in it, as far below the nipple as possible, open the nipple and let it run.
Demon James

Post by Demon James »

andyrob wrote:james try and bleed the lower nipples............... then report on here what happened

:thumbright: Whats the worst that can happen ;) :working: :runaway!: :flush:

Blue

Post by Blue »

The worst that can happen is it won't make any difference...another thing you can try if you think you have air trapped in a calliper is to leave it connected but unbolt it and force the pistons back with G clamps and bleed it like that. You might also have air trapped in the end of the master cylinder, it will not bottom out attached to the pedal.
Demon James

Post by Demon James »

Blue wrote: You might also have air trapped in the end of the master cylinder, it will not bottom out attached to the pedal.
Interesting point, Blue. I meant to ask about bleeding the master cylinder, is there a procedure?

All I did was fill the front and rear reservoir and topped up as we bled from the calipers, have I messed up? We never allowed the fluid to drop much past half way to make sure air didn't get sucked into the system.

We also made sure the lid was secured each time we bled the system, no more than 5 pumps before stopping and topping up.
Demon James

Post by Demon James »

Ah, I see the key point in that sentence is that the piston doesn't travel all the way to the end when pushed by the pedal lever in the car :roll: Got ya :thumbright:

So if I disconnect the pipes at the master cylinder and make up a couple of short pipes to flow back into the reservoirs to "circulate" the fluid. Then remove the pushrod from the pedal and use a drift to slowly push all the way in instead? If I bend the short pipes to keep them below the fluid level this should let air out but not back in.
Blue

Post by Blue »

You should always bench bleed a master cyl. before you fit it. You can do it on the vehicle by disconnecting the pushrod from the pedal and directly pushing it in till it bottoms out. At the same time you will have the lines off the M/cyl and with your latex gloves on press a finger over each port. Fluid and any air will be forced out but the gloves will stop air being drawn back in. You can then just connect everything back up and try it, there is no need to bleed at the wheels when you do this believe it or not.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Demon James wrote:Ah, I see the key point in that sentence is that the piston doesn't travel all the way to the end when pushed by the pedal lever in the car :roll: Got ya :thumbright:

So if I disconnect the pipes at the master cylinder and make up a couple of short pipes to flow back into the reservoirs to "circulate" the fluid. Then remove the pushrod from the pedal and use a drift to slowly push all the way in instead? If I bend the short pipes to keep them below the fluid level this should let air out but not back in.
Yes that method will work just as well and is considerably less messy....
Demon James

Post by Demon James »

Blue wrote:You should always bench bleed a master cyl. before you fit it.
:oops: DOH #-o Every day's a school day :lol: Cheers, Blue.

Are there service kits about for these master cylinders? I only ask as its not overly clear if its from spillage or slight weeping where the push rod goes in. Brake fluid seems to creep forever or appear damp on a surface forever :lol:
Blue

Post by Blue »

Seal kits are normally available, is it a Factory part or aftermarket?