db's 1970 DODGE A108 Sportsman van

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

db

Post by db »

Hey! Oh that's ace, I'll be picking your brain a lot!
How long have you had it? What's the motor/ trans? Have you done much work on it?
No-one will believe you...
db

Post by db »

So this will need an upgrade!

It has flooding issues so I have all the excuses I need to bin it. I'm thinking 650 Holley, but what manifold?
No big power increase required just wake it up a little. It may get headers and cam too but not straight away.
Attachments
C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_20161210.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_20161210.jpg (170.89 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

Edelbrock performer would do the trick, and by chance I will have one available in the not too distant....
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
db

Post by db »

Sweet! Dibs on that please mate :thumbright:
Blue

Post by Blue »

Noted!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

db wrote: How long have you had it? What's the motor/ trans? Have you done much work on it?
Bought it mid 2016, went out to buy a Ford Transit crew van, came back with the A108 (well, kind of :lol: )
It's a 318 727 , part converted to a mini-camper, done a fair bit to it, mainly fettling to sort out a few snags, one of which was the carburetor, but a rebuild kit saw to that ok. Front prop joint went recently , that was when I found out it had been converted from trunion joint to uj.
Mike that is called Mike.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
db

Post by db »

Love it, I take it you didn't have a responsible adult with you then?

Same motor/ trans combo as mine. Have you ever had to take the motor out? I asked on Vintage vans, it seems you have to haul it out of the front passenger door!
Mines a desert dweller so it'll be interesting to see what issues that throws up.
The surface erosion is obvious and he say some of the rubbers are in a poor state.

Does yours have power steering? Would you say it's really necessary? If not I'd sooner pull mine off to save on complication/ weigh/ potential faults
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

db wrote:
Does yours have power steering? Would you say it's really necessary? If not I'd sooner pull mine off to save on complication/ weigh/ potential faults
Mine did have P/S but thankfully it has been removed, simply by installing the the manual steering link bar and removal of the pump & pipes The P/S can be problematic, odd system that usually leaks. The manual system is fine and less vague on the road.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

db wrote:Love it, I take it you didn't have a responsible adult with you then?
Mary encouraged me & she's meant to be the more sensible one, it really was an 11th hour decision :lol:

Better this classic Dodge than a Transit that will only ever be a slowly deteriorating Transit, the Dodge will hold its value and is way more fun.

Made sense to us.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
MattH

Post by MattH »

That looks superb, better bet than the International that could have been a nightmare. Good choice ! :thumbright:
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Got a 600 Holley on my 318 Paul and fits the bill perfectly (for now). Depends if your gonna start chasing power or just want a cruiser.

If your going cam and other bolt ons etc then id go 650, but id think the 600 would be better on a near stock teen with stock heads??
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Steve Chapman

Post by Steve Chapman »

Nice old bus , desert dweller, check for poisonous nasties!
db

Post by db »

MattH wrote:That looks superb, better bet than the International that could have been a nightmare. Good choice ! :thumbright:
Yes mate, I've dodged a few bullets on my way to finding this one! :thumbright:
db

Post by db »

Dave81 wrote:Got a 600 Holley on my 318 Paul and fits the bill perfectly (for now). Depends if your gonna start chasing power or just want a cruiser.

If your going cam and other bolt ons etc then id go 650, but id think the 600 would be better on a near stock teen with stock heads??
I'd like to pep it up a little but I think for this one, as it's my new daily driver, torque and driveability with a nod to fuel economy (I bet you never thought you'd hear me say that!)
db

Post by db »

Steve Chapman wrote:Nice old bus , desert dweller, check for poisonous nasties!
Good point! :shock: