Rear deck replacement questions

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Rear deck replacement questions

Post by Garp »

So I've managed to locate a filler panel thru WASP and I've sorted the right mechanic chap who has done one before (and having seen the car I'm happy he's the right guy).
Just so that I've got "all my ducks in a row" before I start; am I going to need a new rear window seal? Do they come out and go back in? - would it be sensible to replace it at this stage.
Also, where the vinyl roof runs below the window, if you run your hand along it, it sounds kinda like a crisp packet. To me, this indicates that the vinyl has already separated from the metal underneath and I'm wondering whether this can just be cleaned up and re-glued ?
Does vinyl go back where it's told, can it be gently peeled back and reseated or am I in another £325 for a new vinyl roof?
Just want as smooth a turnaround as possible with this fix.
Thanks in advance

:thumbright:
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from speaking to other members crunchy sounding vinyl usually = rusty roof. :(
-Jon.
Garp

Post by Garp »

you are bang-on, hence the reason i'm replacing the panel.
It's only "crunchy" below the window, not up the roof riser pillars - just hoping that this will make it easier to reglue the vinyl.
:help:
Blue

Post by Blue »

Isn't the rear window bonded in? always thought they were on E bodies. Get a set of new window trim clips and screws, they will be knackered if you are dealing with rust in that area. Sounds like an ideal opportunity to scrap the vinyl and paint the roof.....
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Garp

Post by Garp »

Aw Blue ....
I kinda like the vinyl - reminds me of an old HotWheels ! was EVEN considering the Gator option !
Down side I guess is that's where rust can hide.
I could get it wrapped ?
are you saying I will need the rubber seal as well as the chrome trim surround ? Does that trim not "go back in" ?
garp
Pete

Post by Pete »

Rear screen is bonded in. Period.
I also bought the clips for the trim at the same time ;)

Good luck!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Garp

Post by Garp »

Pete wrote:Rear screen is bonded in. Period.
I also bought the clips for the trim at the same time ;)

Good luck!
Ok - just did a search and understand.
I realize I will need new ribbon seal as well as the clips, but if carefully removed, the same trim will go back???
But, as you've been here before, any tips on whether the vinyl can be peeled back and restuck ?
Cheers
Blue

Post by Blue »

Pete is confirming the rear screen is glued in, it has no rubber seal. You have to cut it out and then it gets glued back in with special adhesive like a modern car. You might consider getting your friendly local windscreen fitter to remove and refit. The trim is held on by little sprung metal clips which will get mangled or destroyed by the time you've persuaded the trim to release. They are far easier to change with the glass out so it it makes sense to just change them anyway, job done.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MattH

Post by MattH »

THERE IS NO RUBBER SEAL HERE.
I bought a screen bonding kit off ebay for about £15 which has the PU sealer in black, the glass cleaner and a few other bits to do the job.

Basically you need to sort ALL the rust when the rear screen is out, replace the trim clips (ebay USA quite cheap and small packet so normal postage).
The trim clips fit to mushroom headed rivets which may have rusted too. If so get them as well, the replacements are a screw in with a tall shoulder so the head sits proud to push the clips onto.

Those rivets will rip your fingers when rubbing down so be careful.

Vinyl might go back if you do it on a warm day. Dont try peeling it in zero degrees, it could crack.
Pic is the rivets on the front screen but rears are the same. Clips, there are about 3 types which are similar but different.
This is the one I think I used. RT specialities are very good, lots of useful small bits.
http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail ... od=6002893
Attachments
rivets.jpg
rivets.jpg (141.94 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Garp

Post by Garp »

Cheers Matt for the rivet info. At least I can get all the bits needed before starting this in the Autumn.
Garp