Bonded floor panel sections and MOT regs?

Moderator: Moderators

MilesnMiles

Bonded floor panel sections and MOT regs?

Post by MilesnMiles »

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-070 ... placement/

Using the above method. Will it pass MOT?
Anyone know?
Don't need a lesson on welding V bonding as multiple tests have shown the strength of bonded panels, but I've seen MOT regs that refer to continuous bead of weld.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Bit of reading seems to indicate welding is required. I guess seam sealer would cover the repair edges, but if it failed an MOT it would be a nightmare to remove the bonded panel.
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

We use some stuff at work that would make a good job, assuming sufficient overlap. Welding might be cheaper though. But as the article says, not everyone has access to a welder.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

That might be OK in the states where a lot of places don't test cars but here you will have to seam weld your repairs.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Ok chaps, thanks. Pervious owner did repair panels but left the remains of the rusted areas underneath and it doesn't look great, so was looking at options.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I understand adhesive technology has come on leaps and bounds these days and new cars make full use of it especially on body panels. I wouldn't be happy gluing major structural components such as floor panels in place instead of welding. I would imagine an MOT tester would fail a vehicle if he could see a repair with no evidence of welding. VOSA would have to issue an update to state where and how glued repairs where to be acceptable for it to be 100% legit IMO.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

More I read.. apparently the bonding is so strong any shear path on collision could transfer elsewhere into the structure, hence the VOSA requirements to follow OEM process etc..
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Blue wrote:I understand adhesive technology has come on leaps and bounds these days and new cars make full use of it especially on body panels. I wouldn't be happy gluing major structural components such as floor panels in place instead of welding. I would imagine an MOT tester would fail a vehicle if he could see a repair with no evidence of welding. VOSA would have to issue an update to state where and how glued repairs where to be acceptable for it to be 100% legit IMO.
Exactly.

Bonded repair would be a fail,seam welding required in the prescribed areas as far as DVSA is concerned currently.
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

Its a like for like thing. If it was bonded originally, then fine. If it was welded, then it would require re welding.
You'd have a hard time convincing an MOT tester that your classic Mopar was actually built like a Lotus Elise. :lol:
"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"
karlee1433

Weld

Post by karlee1433 »

As said before as an mot tester it must be seam welded if glued and undersealed and cant be seen then it will more than likely pass if it has already failed they may look a bit more at the repair.
Harley Davidson 1340 evo 9 foot long swedish chopper.
Harley Davidson v rod screaming eagle
1970 dodge coronet super bee 383 4 speed manual
Also 1972 Suzuki gt750j nut &bolt restoration.