Useless fan shroud.

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Useless fan shroud.

Post by Garp »

I was thinking I need to get a shroud because my rad' fan seems a tad exposed then I realised I have one !
Now I'm questioning why my fan sits so far back from the rad'
Any ideas

:help:
Attachments
IMG_6228.JPG
IMG_6228.JPG (50.42 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Blue

Post by Blue »

From what I can see that looks like an aftermarket flex fan. They have a much flatter profile than the standard fan and require longer bolts and a deeper spacer to sit in the same relative position. Viscous drive fans have a long snout and don't usually require any spacers, that is what I normally use for Quiet, non power robbing, optimum cooling.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Garp

Post by Garp »

That makes sense as the blades do flex with increased power.
However, although the Chally rarely shows any signs of overheating except standing still in long bouts of traffic, would my cooling improve with either an elongated shroud or a deeper fan ?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I have a similar problem on my car. I found it was improved when I swapped out a flex fan for an original Mopar part as the blades on the new fan are a much deeper pitch than those on the flex fan. It also looks like you have a very short fan spacer fitted. If you download a copy of the parts catalogue from the link below you will be able to find the factory fitted combo of fan and spacer to get the clearance right. Alternatively as Blue says a viscous fan package would be a better bet than your current setup.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31
All we are is rust in the wind
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

told you so......lol
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Garp

Post by Garp »

Dart Vader wrote:told you so......lol
You did mate, but we thought it was because i was missing the shroud - looked again and realised I had one .... hence .....
SJH

Post by SJH »

The fan blades should sit approx 1 inch from the radiator. Like Blue said you can get longer bolts and a spacer. (Got mine from Summit). Be careful that the radiator is parallel to the fan, ie could be 1 inch space at the top and only 1/2 inch space at the bottom which is too little for a flexfan.

cheers
Shayne
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Those Ali fan blades flatten out when spinning

There is a good YouTube thing on engine masters about fans

Apart from electric the factory fan won
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

In order for the shroud to be at all effective your fan blades should be sat half in and half out of it. With your current setup all your shroud is doing is blocking airflow through part of your radiator. Get your fan closer to your radiator and your shroud will start to do it's part.
All we are is rust in the wind
SJH

Post by SJH »

If you read this article it shows the perfect fan/shroud position in a handy diagram

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/blog/

cheers
Shayne
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

I have tried all 3 types of fans on my car.

Had 2 electric fans when I bought the car, useless as it was pulling enough air through the rad.

Couldn't find the correct viscous fan so went for flex fan from Summit when it arrived it was too far away from the rad, most the air was going around the engine and not pulling from the front.
It had to have the spacer which I got from Summit, 2 inch, then it was working great car never went above 170, it was pulling so much air in.

Eventually the correct viscous fan came up for sale so had it, it looks right coming back from Tatton park yesterday on M6, temp 190 max all the way home.

I think you need to move the fan closer and may be get the shroud out.