Heater Removal

Moderator: Moderators

ChrisN34

Heater Removal

Post by ChrisN34 »

Hi guys, just a quick one, thinking about removing the heater unit behind the dash. The factory Air con was ripped out long ago and the heater i dont think has ever worked for me. How easy is it to do. I Have the big unit the long vents directly under the middle of the dash. There are also 2 hoses going from the water pump into the firewall and back again, am i right in assuming that is the heater pipe, is it safe to just loop those back on each other with a smaller hose?

I also have an issue with a leak coming through the drivers vent box. I Think there is a small rust hole and i would rather Not have to cut up the cowl. Has anyone ever experimented with putting a block off plate where the hole for the airvent box is? Thinking that might be the best course of action at the moment

Cheers
Chris
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

im guessing theres no need to remove the heater core entirely etc.

the two pipes going through the bulkhead are the heater hoses.

loop them back into the engine at source by water pump.

drain remaining water from heater matrix, maybe some compressed air to help

just a guess though, more of a ball ache to take it all out I reckon
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

that leak might be from the windscreen wipers spindles.I bought a kit that re seals that
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Blue

Post by Blue »

Not a hard thing to remove and frees up a ton of space under the dash. You can loop the heater hose at the engine or you can plug the connections for a neater look, makes no odds. You will be left with a few small holes in the firewall and a large one where the motor fits through, easy enough to cover neatly with ally sheet. You will also be left with a large hole under the plenum which will not leak water but will be a source of constant cold air, I normally cover that as well.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Duster70

Post by Duster70 »

Hi Chris, my Duster 340 had the same problem, effectively a non-working heater system. I did investigate the option of installing a non A/C heater box assembly but was advised that it would not fit as the firewalls were different.

I have achieved a working heater system and posted some photos on your thread in the Workshop? Should you wish to discuss or find out more, please let me know. I am only one (/2)) junctions up the motorway from you.

Regards
Arthur
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

Duster70 wrote:Hi Chris, my Duster 340 had the same problem, effectively a non-working heater system. I did investigate the option of installing a non A/C heater box assembly but was advised that it would not fit as the firewalls were different.

I have achieved a working heater system and posted some photos on your thread in the Workshop? Should you wish to discuss or find out more, please let me know. I am only one (/2)) junctions up the motorway from you.

Regards
Arthur
Hi Arthur, yes i do remember your post now. I Did think about doing it your way, but i just want it out now. Its a bit bulky and in the way. I will probably look at re-doing it how you did at some point in the future but for now, just looking at getting it out really.

Cheers blue, i think i saw that mancini racing sell a kit for a direct fit bulkhead cover. Where abouts is it bolted in place? Is it a job for dash clutster out, or can it all be pulled from under?

Justin, i actually replaced them a while back, as well as a firewwall plug, when i had a proper look recently with the dash out, i found water sitting in the air vent box.

Cheers guys
Chris
Blue

Post by Blue »

No need to take the cluster out, it comes out from underneath. Most of the nuts are on the bulkhead and there's a sneaky one under the fresh air door.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

Cheers guys, going to give it a go this weekend. Hopefully can get it all out and cleaned up inside.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Mine took me about an hour to do. Just bolts and drop out. From memory there is a J type bar that is hooked into the large vent on the right. This holds it to the underside of the dash. Big issue will be the hole that us left in the bay from the fan motor.

I got a metal place on ebay to replicate the mounting flange for the motor but without the hole for it. Think it was 2mm the mild steel. Drilled holes to match the 4x bolts and fixed it in place after painting it.

Heater hose recirculation is easy. I bought silicon hose x 2 90 degree bends and a mating piece. Just remember the feed and return are two different sizes. :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Mentioned on my workshop thread page 11 for ref:

http://www.moparuk.com/forums/viewtopic ... &start=150
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"