Leaf spring differences

Moderator: Moderators

mustangbooks

Leaf spring differences

Post by mustangbooks »

A year or so ago, I obtained a pair of leaf springs from Matt H with the intention of getting them re-arched / re-tempered to replace my existing ones. Now I've fitted taller rear rubber it's not as much of a priority, but I've been comparing them anyway. First pic is the ones I got from Matt, with 5 leaves at the widest point. The other pics show my existing ones, which seem to have 7 springs at that point!

Is it worth doing anything to either set of springs? I realise the question is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question for the ones that have never been on my car, but I was surprised at the difference in the number of leaves.... are some springs made differently with thinner leaves, needing more of them to provide the same amount of springiness?!
IMG_20171004_140737.jpg
IMG_20171004_140737.jpg (175.52 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
IMG_20171004_141141 (2).jpg
IMG_20171004_141141 (2).jpg (185 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
IMG_20171004_141158.jpg
IMG_20171004_141158.jpg (138.94 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
MilesnMiles

Re: Leaf spring differences

Post by MilesnMiles »

No idea mate, but I fitted a 30 buck Add a Leaf from Summit and a couple of hours later my car sat fine, drives better and still does.
mustangbooks

Post by mustangbooks »

MilesnMiles wrote: Wed Oct 04, 17 6:54 pm No idea mate, but I fitted a 30 buck Add a Leaf from Summit and a couple of hours later my car sat fine, drives better and still does.
:sheepish: I think you may have mentioned that before... :lol:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

one set from a 440 car and one set from a small block car i'd expect

both sets may well be binding if they have not had a rebuild in 40-50 years.

i strongly believe the best springs for your car are its original springs reconditioned if you plan to drive it everywhere.

obviously special cases for going racing exist

dismantled and cleaned will show if any spring has worn groove in its neighbour

if they haven't done this

blast re arch and retemper should make them as new

re assemble with new nylon sliders (NPD via WASP) and sheets of 0.9mm zinc plate (ebay) running forward from the springs central stud to the clip on each spring
strips are spring wide. with hole for stud inch and a 1/2 in from one end

that last bit, the retemper puts back the springiness that tends to go as they have sagged or you can get them uprated by making them stiffer (this will change body roll and can increase the chance of snap oversteer if not coupled with stiffer front)
the zinc acts as a self lubricating slide between each spring. as per chrysler's top end cars

in theory they should be as good or better than they were on day 1...

work depends really on if you can get decent new shipped in for less

the work involved is more common place for trucks these days as so few cars have leaves

Brost forge or Paddington springs are london based but you are looking for motor spring reconditioners.

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

PS some cars with taxi or towing option packs got more leaves on 1 side than the other. the passenger side (on a LHD car) takes more of a battering due to the torque reaction of the diff housing when under heavy load combatted slightly by the offset centre on the diff, which aligns with the offset engine and box.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Andy, I have indeed mentioned it before. Cos it's a bloody cheap fix :lol: seriously, I looked at every avenue for decent (not Mexican re pops) and got beaten back by the price every time. Typically $450 plus shipping and taxes.
I've also read that retempered springs eventually resort to their original state.
Anyone who's been in my RR has been impressed by how flat it drives thru the turns. $30 ;)
mustangbooks

Post by mustangbooks »

Dave999 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 17 4:34 pm one set from a 440 car and one set from a small block car i'd expect
So I have heavy duty springs even though it's a small block? Interesting.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

its a guess

but cars with bigger motors producing more torque definitely got more leaves in australia so i've assumed this to be the case in the US as well.

dave