Cortina MK3 with V8 Dodge 318

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

Re: Cortina MK3 V8 MOPAR

Post by TIB3300 »

Bozwell wrote: Sun Oct 29, 17 11:57 am I can quite understand a challenge as I have squeezed an S2000 engine into a tiny Honda S800 :thumbright:

and having a 318 in my Barracuda I can't hate on them it's just they are not as easy to get tuning parts for. The 273 has a stronger forged crank and will go straight into the 318 as well as the adjustable rockers and solid lifter cam. or there are bore and stroke kits available to take them to over 6 litres.

the '67 318 has the same 273 forged crank otherwise they are cast in the post '67. (mine is a '67 318 in a '66 vehicle but I have yet to pull the sump off to see if it has the wide seam on the crank.)
owww!!! I do like them Little Hondas, I bet it went well. :? As I have driven a S2000 and it was quick once you got the revs above 7k

"tuning "
I don't want to go fast, well not yet anyhow 8-) I have been looking at stroker kits, £1,500 ish mine is a 1969 engine .But I must admit I am a little confused as to what your telling me as regards cranks?
Last edited by TIB3300 on Fri Apr 09, 21 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Dave81 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 17 5:26 pm Look forward to the progress pics. Ali heads would lower the weight a bit.......got to love a 318. Can be stroked out to 390/392 if that takes your fancy and those can make around 400 reliable horsepower and more ft lbs.

The Mopar sound does come at a cost though. Expect to pay the Mopar premium on any parts you want. I believe the average is around 30% more than the comparable Chevy part.

Just get the parts mix right and the compression in the right place and the 318 can be a great tool. Id have one over the RV8 any day. Spent enough time with the TVR crowd to see the limitations of the Buick design.

Watching with interest....... 8-)
Thanks Dave
Yes will be showing progress :?
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

TIB3300 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 17 10:34 am I am a little confused as to what your telling me as regards cranks?

the 273 crank is drop forged and stronger than the later cast crank as fitted into the post '67 318.

the 273 crank is exactly the same size as the 318 crank so fitted into a 318 it'll make a slightly stronger engine for not a lot of money.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

The ONLY thing you need to know,is if the engine is internally or externally balanced,for selecting your flywheel,and you will require some sort of spigot in the crank to suit your manual transmission.
Your not going to bust a cast crank unless you plan on revving to 7000rpm :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome by the way :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Bozwell wrote: Mon Oct 30, 17 6:48 pm
TIB3300 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 17 10:34 am I am a little confused as to what your telling me as regards cranks?

the 273 crank is drop forged and stronger than the later cast crank as fitted into the post '67 318.

the 273 crank is exactly the same size as the 318 crank so fitted into a 318 it'll make a slightly stronger engine for not a lot of money.
Thank you :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

DaveB wrote: Mon Oct 30, 17 10:12 pm The ONLY thing you need to know,is if the engine is internally or externally balanced,for selecting your flywheel,and you will require some sort of spigot in the crank to suit your manual transmission.
Your not going to bust a cast crank unless you plan on revving to 7000rpm :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome by the way :thumbright:
Cheers Dave

"7000rpm" :roll:

No this will be low and slow :rr:

"externally balanced"
Yes I read about that got a little worried at first :pale: If the crank is balanced as you say internally and externally.

If I was to put a flywheel on to my engine from another engine? and if that flywheel was neutrally balanced this should be fine?
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

If its a early 318(steel crank,no weight on damper)its internal balance.neutral flywheel ok.
If its later(after 71,cast crank,offset weight on damper)its external balance.neutral flywheel NOT OK.
All though the only way to know really,is to pull off the sump pan,look at the crank,these are old engines,and sometimes parts have been swapped for the wrong parts,Hope this helps :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

DaveB wrote: Wed Nov 01, 17 8:20 am If its a early 318(steel crank,no weight on damper)its internal balance.neutral flywheel ok.
If its later(after 71,cast crank,offset weight on damper)its external balance.neutral flywheel NOT OK.
All though the only way to know really,is to pull off the sump pan,look at the crank,these are old engines,and sometimes parts have been swapped for the wrong parts,Hope this helps :thumbright:
I bought the engine as bits in a box's this is what I have :?
000_0104.JPG
000_0104.JPG (555.79 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Last edited by TIB3300 on Sun Aug 30, 20 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

This is my donor car a 1999 Mustang for the rear axle and box,plus whatever goodies I can use :thumbright:
Attachments
sgh.jpg
sgh.jpg (113.7 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Loving the sound of what you want to do. However, I'd be just taking the whole drivetrain out the mustang and putting it in the Cortina. You'll have all the running gear ready to go, still a challenge to do but at least the engine, box, propshaft and axle will all work together and be balanced correctly for each other.
I'm not saying it can't be done, or that you shouldn't do it. I'd love to see it completed and wish you luck with it but I'd be putting the 318 in something else
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Blue

Post by Blue »

That would make far more sense, small block Ford is a much neater package to transplant and no need to adapt the transmission, it's a no brainer unless you like to make life hard for yourself!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Rebel wrote: Tue Nov 07, 17 11:57 pm Loving the sound of what you want to do. However, I'd be just taking the whole drivetrain out the mustang and putting it in the Cortina. You'll have all the running gear ready to go, still a challenge to do but at least the engine, box, propshaft and axle will all work together and be balanced correctly for each other.
I'm not saying it can't be done, or that you shouldn't do it. I'd love to see it completed and wish you luck with it but I'd be putting the 318 in something else
Thanks Rebel :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Blue wrote: Wed Nov 08, 17 6:17 am That would make far more sense, small block Ford is a much neater package to transplant and no need to adapt the transmission, it's a no brainer unless you like to make life hard for yourself!
"more sense" "no brainer" "make life hard for yourself"

What some of you don't seem to understand is, this is not just about putting a V8 engine into a Cortina. Yes I could make my life much easier on myself . By going to see a friend of mine who has a 302 Ford in his Mk3 cortina and copying what he has done. But where would be the challenge and fun in that ? :scratch:

I Love to build and yes challenge myself, don't know why? Just do, :help:
Blue

Post by Blue »

By all means do it the hard way if that's what you want to do, just pointing it out that the end result if it's a success will be much the same.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Bloody build that lil 318 n graft it in the cortina bay is pretty big no strut towers etc i reckon it will pi33 in there, put decent cam in it 600 vac sec holley n ally intake it will be a fun mtr,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL