information

Moderator: Moderators

three counties

information

Post by three counties »

hi all,have got to remove the front windscreen on a 73 charger,the screen is all ok,but it has to come out so i can get to the rust problems.have taken all the trim of on the outside of the glass.have got some mig welding wire between the inner and outer screen to cut into the old rubber.have done about half of it now and there is a bit of play in the glass.when i get around to cut the rest of the seal,would it be best if i get some help to try and push the glass out ?bit worried in case it will break ,thought i would ask on here if any one has done this thanks,mick
Dave999

Re: information

Post by Dave999 »

i'd look for some help

or at least

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
three counties

Post by three counties »

thanks dave,will get a pair of these,have just been looking on ebay,and you can get a cutting wire kit,with 2 handles.just got to try and find out ,where is the best place to start pushing the screen out.have been doing a google search,but havent found any thing at the moment,
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

toughened glass no problem, it goes bang if it is chipped (pre existing or dinging the edge) but can be pushed out with your feet.

blankets on the hood and a friend to act as resistance on the other side

i have used that method on VWs before curved 1303 beetle screen

laminated glass (modern screens) you can't really do that a flex will crack it much easier.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

Personally I would cut right through the mastic all the way round before trying to get the screen out.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
lemans-tom

Post by lemans-tom »

Have done this a few times without breakage. I used safety locking wire strung between two dowels to cut through the seal. As per Dave's post - use old blankets, soft stuff etc, masking tape around the frame if you want to save the paint, definitely get some help.

Push from the top inside. Depending on how much force you need to get it started - I have sat, sunk down on front seat and GENTLY pushed with my feet to get it started. By this stage the seal should be completely cut, you just need to overcome initial friction. Aim to get it to pivot around the bottom edge of the screen, have your helper ready to catch it/help it on its way from outside.

Once it starts going it should be easy.
three counties

Post by three counties »

thanks all for the advice,waiting for the wire kit to be sent out from ebay,will then make another start on it :)
three counties

Post by three counties »

hi all ,have just got the time today to have a go and remove the front screen on the charger,asked my son for a bit of help ,had cut a lot of the rubber sealant out before he got here,didnt take that long to do the rest of it.i was worried if it was going to crack,as it is not my car.but it all went to plan and i have stored it up in the shed.thanks for all the help with this ,mick
lemans-tom

Post by lemans-tom »

Great to hear that. Always a bit nerve racking.......
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well done, chalk up another success...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Yes it was a nerve racking moment taking the screen out of my own 73 [-o<
73 Charger 318
MMA-130