Greasy nipples!

Moderator: Moderators

freighdog

Greasy nipples!

Post by freighdog »

Is there a favoured type of grease for rubber bushes in the suspension? I've read that you can get 'special' grease for suspension bushes, but will the regular stuff do?
Blue

Re: Greasy nipples!

Post by Blue »

Red rubber grease is for directly applying to rubber parts it will not attack it. Ball joints need the regular brown stuff you get in cartridges for your grease gun.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
freighdog

Post by freighdog »

Thanks Blue, I'll add that to the ever growing shopping list!
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

none of the rubber bushes in the suspension should be turning in any housing, so they shouldn't need any grease, they are usually bonded to the inner and outer and they flex.
if they are making any noise they are probably shot.

if you have urethane bushes then they do turn in the housing, usually the old shell from the previous rubber bush, and they do need some lube

mopar specified a barium grease for the balljoints, called mopar multi mileage lubricant. there is a supplier in germany
else you need to buy a crate of it from the US which is way too expensive and finding a shipper is hard work

so grease for balljoints and king pins is ya best bet

at the rear..... in theory your springs have zinc interleaves and plastic sliders which mean that they are self lubricating any application of oil or grease just attracts grit which turns into grinding compound and does more damage than its worth

i never done shackles and eye bushes so i don't know about them....
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

Shackle to eye bushes are just push in rubber, you can red grease those upon assembly which I normally do.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

There's a transparent silicon grease from RS that I use,doesn't affect rubber. In fact I've used it for tight horticultural tyres,no problems. Replaced one I did 20 yrs ago recently and it slipped off the rim no problem with no rubber degradation. For ball joints etc I use cartridges of that brown stuff used for diggers or Castrol LM
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.