Dodge SE (Chrysler CJ/CH) radiator upgrade

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Getawaydriver

Dodge SE (Chrysler CJ/CH) radiator upgrade

Post by Getawaydriver »

Hello,

Can anyone advise me on a radiator upgrade for my South African Dodge SE?
Originally the car would have come with a slant 6 cylinder engine but has been fitted with a Chrysler 383 big block. I believe it still has the old radiator as the radiator hoses are a bit of a mishmash, the bottom hose goes down in front of the oil filter and across the bottom of the radiator . I'm thinking of fitting a new radiator with an electric fan and would like to know if I can get a direct fit radiator. Can anyone recommend anything?

Regards,
Phil.
Dave999

Re: Dodge SE (Chrysler CJ/CH) radiator upgrade

Post by Dave999 »

yours will have the A body size hole for the radiator

however later aussie cars used the wider version

you can fit a wider version in to the narrower space by drilling new holes in the surround which is what they did from 1978 -1982 in OZ

i'd try and pick up a B body radiator with the outlets in the correct place. and then get it recored with a triple pass core. check the small ads in the back of practical classics

and an electric fan usually involves an alternator and wiring upgrade, the alternator by its nature is much stiffer to turn when the fan is on, and you are turning rotational torque into electricity to then turn it back into rotational torque in a electric motor again... thus robs more power than a mechanical fan that has a freewheeling hub at anything other than speeds when you need to be cooling due to lack of forward motion

suggest a viscous fan would be fine provided it is close enough, but not too close, to the radiator and the radiator is all nice and unclogged. distance is key and can be a problem in a car that had a LONG 6 cylinder when fitted with a shorter v8

back flush the block and heater matrix before fitting a new rad. or stick in a filter look up TEFBA filters

and don't be tempted leave the thermostat out or to stick a 165 thermostat in Mopars for cold places had a 195f stat and that's just fine in a street driven standard car with a nice new radiator, new hoses, 16 lb radiator cap that fits (many don't properly fit), and a water pump that pumps the best at street driven RPMs

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Go on Ebay,look for Mopar Champion radiator,find one for a big block in a A body,easy and cheap
Getawaydriver

Post by Getawaydriver »

That's great advise, thanks very much!