Rob & Stu's 69 Sport Satellite

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave999

Re: Rob & Stu's 69 Sport Satellite

Post by Dave999 »

what a journey....

its pretty appalling to have to re do parts of an engine build (that you paid someone to do) that were specifically parts that are normal in every build, performance or not. its even worse when that company is trading on its name and its previous successes.

then again hopefully the koffle magic that was missing on the "seal it up" front was sprinkled on the performance side of things

great that its all fixed

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

EPIC

:read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2:
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Thanks Will, but if you think that's EPIC we'll have to think up a new adjective for your bike build! :shock: :D
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

Minor update. (but quite a few words, sorry)
Something we should have done last winter is change out our speedo which went kaput after sitting idle while the new engine went in.
Seems like it 'lost it's magnetism' and the needle gradually moved from zero at rest. Even with cable disconnected it's now showing 130mph at rest.
So with an MOT due (yes I know it probably isn't really an issue) and the mileage still where it was before the last MOT we thought hey why not spend a couple of weekends lying under the dash to fit a new one.
Found a US seller on Ebay over a year ago now who offered restored instrument clusters for either Satellite / RR's (120mph) or GTX's (150mph).
Seems that our Stellite had a 150mph speedo fitted by the previous owner which probably replaced a kph speedo? Or maybe the old one just broke.
Either way it lasted us 35 years so can't complain.
150 is kind cool but 120 is correct so that's what we went for.
Trouble is, when the new cluster arrived the speedo was showing 50. Credit to the seller he sent a new speedo (just the speedo section), but that arrived with the needle bent. ho hum.
So I took the 2 'new' speedos to a very helpful guy just the other side of Gloucester who checked them over, calibrated them and set to zero.
https://www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com/
Oh yes and we thought we'd fit a clock that we got years ago. Not hooked up but better than a black square.

So a couple of weeks ago I started dismantling stuff. Had a look at some threads on FBBO which were quite helpful, and rob came round to help.
It probably would have been easier without the steering column in but didn't fancy going to that extent.
Photos below show a 'before' with the needle at 130 :D , then the 'new' speedo with it at 50 :( . And then a few of 'during' and 'after' :headbang: :hello1: :occasion5:

With the new cluster in place and everything else back in we turned the key. Couple of things didn't work:
Dome wasn't coming on with the dimmer, Brake (E brake) indicator wasn't working, and the indicator / hazard wasn't flashing.
Turns out the dome / dimmer was because I hadn't replaced the 4 screws retaining the black switch panel (earth). Brake indicator was just a dodgy bulb / fitting which I took out of the old cluster. Flasher / indicators would flash with the engine running so i'll take that for now.
I wonder if it just needs a new flasher unit? We found that Andy (Mustangbooks) has them on ebay so might order a new one.
Do these need to be earthed? or squeezed into it's spring steel housing somewhere up under the dash?

If anyone is thinking of changing their 68/69 RR etc speedo, here's a list of what we removed to make access easier:
Driver seat, drop column, ashtray, full width ally trim above cluster / under dash, trim piece to left of cluster, switch panel, loosen Pal nuts that retain the lower dash pad, Vent pull levers under dash.
All this is more suited to a teenager with very small hands rather than a couple of 60 year olds who need glasses to see under the dash.

Anyway here's some pics:
Attachments
Before
Before
P1250457.JPG (103.85 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
new speedo LOL
new speedo LOL
P1250462a.JPG (107.09 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
new (repaired) vs old
new (repaired) vs old
P1100146.JPG (114.37 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
P1100150.JPG
P1100150.JPG (128.14 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
P1100153.JPG
P1100153.JPG (107.58 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
Done !
Done !
P1100154.JPG (110.31 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
P1100155.JPG
P1100155.JPG (110.77 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
P1100159.JPG
P1100159.JPG (115.41 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Looks great, but yes I know the pain of working under the dash, done it 2 times on my Barracuda and it is a killer.

Nice to know there is Dr near for the instruments repairs.

Good job guys :thumbright:
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

Yes, working under the dash seems to get harder and harder as time goes by. I particularly enjoy the “upside down with feet over the back of the seat” position, when I always lie there wishing I had been bothered to take the seat out after all. :roll: :D

Looking like a good job done. :thumbright: Wity all the speed and average speed cameras around these days, definitely better to be sure.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Stu wrote: Wed Oct 19, 22 7:17 am Yes, working under the dash seems to get harder and harder as time goes by. I particularly enjoy the “upside down with feet over the back of the seat” position, when I always lie there wishing I had been bothered to take the seat out after all. :roll: :D

Looking like a good job done. :thumbright: Wity all the speed and average speed cameras around these days, definitely better to be sure.
Like your new avatar Stu1 8-)

We've been relying on a piece of paper resting on the dash with rpm / mph listed so we can stay legal near speed cameras so it'll be nice to get back to having a real speedo :lol:
Stu

Post by Stu »

RobTwin wrote: Wed Oct 19, 22 7:54 am Like your new avatar Stu1 8-)

We've been relying on a piece of paper resting on the dash with rpm / mph listed so we can stay legal near speed cameras so it'll be nice to get back to having a real speedo :lol:
Cheers Rob, figured it was time I moved on from the Barracuda avatar as it hasn’t turned a wheel for so long. :D

Yes, I used to have memorised equivalent speeds too, I reckon at least half the forum must have speedos out. :lol:

I downloaded a speed app on my phone in the end, just in case, but once I get into the winter projects, I reckon I might have to take inspiration from this! :rr:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

I always remove the column and take the seat out these days when working under the dash. Seems like a lot of effort but it really isn't, just makes life so much easier.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Blue

Post by Blue »

Handy to know there's someone that can fix our speedo's in the UK, I have to fix the one in the Polara at some point.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

When i spoke to the 'speedo guy' (his job, not what he wears LOL) he really bad-mouthed the build quality of speedos used in american cars, saying he'd have a look but couldn't guarantee anything as it's 50 year old plastic blah blah.
But i really wanted someone to give them the once over so he agreed but said he couldn't look at them for a few weeks and I'd likely have to collect them from him next month at the NEC. But luckily the box they were in was so big, it was all in his way so he phoned me back the next day to say they're fixed! 2.5 hours labour, all sorted.
He's exhibiting at the NEC Classic Car show so check him out. Dr Mike Flannery.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Might have to have a look for him on the day, then!

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

Stu wrote: Wed Oct 19, 22 12:36 pm Might have to have a look for him on the day, then!
He said he's usually in the space between 2 of the halls. One of the smaller stands against a wall.
stand 4-706 apparently:
https://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/exh ... exhibitors
Stu

Post by Stu »

:thumbright:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
70GMC

Post by 70GMC »

Wow what a journey both you guys have been on…..kind of reminds of one of Brutus threads 😉
Well done for seeing it through although there’s only one direction you can go once committed …interesting read and no I didn’t nod off :D
Good luck With the motor Rich….