Facebook rant

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Derek

Facebook rant

Post by Derek »

Why am I seeing posts on Facebook ie photos, questions, events from members that I don't see on here or they turned up on here afterwards :shock: , surley they should be on here first, I try and put them here then Facebook. Rant over. :)
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
andyrob

Re: Facebook rant

Post by andyrob »

I think the truth is derek, the honeymoon period for all forums is over, this one has survived alot better than others I used to go on
Its all FB now, it so east to quickly post on FB with your phone 'live' where as I only come on here when sitting in front of a computer later
10 years ago on here before the mature folk even knew what FB was this forum used to be buzzing most days
Things move on, now this is the only forum I ever use
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
Lincrafts.com

Post by Lincrafts.com »

I put show pics on Facebook but for help and advice it's here everytime.

More knowledgeable folk rather than...... I know bugger all but will jump in my two penniesworth anyway.
Present:
1973 Plymouth Roadrunner
2010 Chrysler 300c SRT
Past:
1999 Dodge Dakota RT
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda :(
morgan

Post by morgan »

Please dont kill the forum. I’m a conscientious facebook objector!
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

I just don't get how facebook works - the groups that I am interested in are swamped with extra irrelevant stuff and adverts, and if I want to find something I saw yesterday, it's gone...
Bah.
Forums have a much better signal-to-noise ratio.
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

CIA Lifelog project

Facebook Wikipedia

check the dates when lifelog was terminated and facebook started.

there is this conspiracy theory that the CIA runs facebook.

Make it fun, Track your life. ;)

every photo uploaded to facebook they now own. plus you must have seen the facial recognition systems gaining more traction. and why the likes of Antifa (yes the fascist group masquerading as antifascists) wear masks.

makes you warm and fuzzy doesn't it.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Facebook is just far too easy for most people, but it doesn't replace a forum where you can actually find stuff again and most people know what they're talking about.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

yes totally agree with all said that FB is good at the time you look but later to find anything on it is difficult.

where this forum for information is great and you can go back for many years to find what you may be looking for.

FB is only for making money by advertising, if no adverts then will not exists.
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

I look in on here most days but it's effectively dead in the water. I gave up trying to post pictures as it's such a hassle,it's not possible to reply to an individual on their post like it is on FB,I can't hit the return button to post,have to scroll down to submit. As for not finding stuff later on,a local history group on FB that I use has a search facility by topic and poster.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
morgan

Post by morgan »

latil has a point; the forum has dropped in use alarmingly last couple of years.
But I dont think I agree on the usability; yes, its 'old school' but I think the index/search and frankly owning our own history/data is a big deal.
The other point is data/ownership - Facebook guarantee you nothing and are a nightmare. If they want it gone or purged or sold or whatever - boom - its gone. Tough.

The move to facebook with its oh-so-shiny-bits is tempting; I get that. But it isnt the same thing as this forum in my opinion. I for one would be really sad to see this go. I have no intention of joining facebook and its creepy thought police. (tin hats at the ready!)
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Lincrafts.com

Post by Lincrafts.com »

I use Facebook very selectively, turn off notifications for groups with spam posts, and shares of shares of shares (UK Mopars included) but I visit now and again to see if it has improved, also many friends are unfollowed as I don't want to know about politics and stuff.

I'm admin on a few car groups and any dodgy crap and you're out, we don't want one wash t-shirt ads thanks.

It can be filtered to what you want to see and how you want to use it but you will still get **** heads

Posting pics on here always seems to take me ages as I always seem to bugger it up somehow lol

Latest attempt s is youtube, put loads of photo's together and upload the video, what was called a slide show back in the day.
Present:
1973 Plymouth Roadrunner
2010 Chrysler 300c SRT
Past:
1999 Dodge Dakota RT
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda :(
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

latil wrote: Mon Oct 07, 19 10:19 am I look in on here most days but it's effectively dead in the water. I gave up trying to post pictures as it's such a hassle,it's not possible to reply to an individual on their post like it is on FB,I can't hit the return button to post,have to scroll down to submit. As for not finding stuff later on,a local history group on FB that I use has a search facility by topic and poster.
There's no hassle in posting photos these days Steve, not since the forum was updated a couple/few years ago. No need to resize, if that's what you meant :-k
As for replying to an individual post, how does using 'quote' for your reply differ to how fb works?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Facebook groups are, from my point of view, mostly full of noise.
Also I don't find it straightforward to view anything posted in an organised way.

I treat this Forum, and a Facebook group, as two different things for two different purposes.
I find the Forum very easy to use, navigate, and post on - although I do use it mostly from a PC and not a mobile device.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

It's always seemed strange to me that the MMA Facebook page is restricted even to fully paid up members. Lots of ex MMA members have migrated to MoparsUK on Facebook presumably as it's convenient and free whereas we pay £30 a year and our Facebook page does not allow us to post new topics. Our memberlist is falling year on year with just a handful of regular posters keeping conversation going and I can see that trend continuing. It's also worth noting that a significant proportion of our membership have never posted on the forum! Maybe it's time to rethink our offering to attract a larger user base? Rods n Sods has 21,000 members presumably helped by the fact that it's free! Is it time to junk to the club magazine to reduce costs and thus reduce membership subs? Are we stuck in the past producing a magazine for people who never speak to one another instead of engaging a wider audience on social media like other groups are these days? We have an excellent forum here, it just needs more traffic to put the life back into it.
All we are is rust in the wind
Derek

Post by Derek »

Gareth wrote: Mon Oct 07, 19 5:52 pm It's always seemed strange to me that the MMA Facebook page is restricted even to fully paid up members. Lots of ex MMA members have migrated to MoparsUK on Facebook presumably as it's convenient and free whereas we pay £30 a year and our Facebook page does not allow us to post new topics. Our memberlist is falling year on year with just a handful of regular posters keeping conversation going and I can see that trend continuing. It's also worth noting that a significant proportion of our membership have never posted on the forum! Maybe it's time to rethink our offering to attract a larger user base? Rods n Sods has 21,000 members presumably helped by the fact that it's free! Is it time to junk to the club magazine to reduce costs and thus reduce membership subs? Are we stuck in the past producing a magazine for people who never speak to one another instead of engaging a wider audience on social media like other groups are these days? We have an excellent forum here, it just needs more traffic to put the life back into it.
Out of the 21,000 members on Rods n Sods how many would know each other if the past them at The Mopar Nats, Chryslers at Brooklands or a show somwhere, I bet half of them don't even own an American car or a Hot Rod. even on Facebook some of the car groups members don't own cars related to that group

Our Facebook page was set up to try and attrack new members and direct them here.

The club magazine was junked for a while but was voted to bring it back, I love our magazine and I know of members from another club that would like one as good as ours.

I agree we could do with more traffic, but how do we do that if people don''t want to post here but post it on Facebook. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.