OIL COOLER LINES

Moderator: Moderators

Duster1

OIL COOLER LINES

Post by Duster1 »

What would be the best replacement for the Transmission oil cooler lines.
I've been looking at braided flexible lines with AN fittings.
cheers
andy
Derek

Re: OIL COOLER LINES

Post by Derek »

Hi Andy.
Depends on what you mean by Transmission oil cooler lines. All stock radiators have built in transmission cooler going into the gearbox or are talking about a auxiliary trany cooler, mounted in front of the radiator.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Hi Derek,
I was referring to the replacing of the existing cooler lines from the tranny to radiator, as ours are all creased.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Got braided on mine.
Attachments
20211025_193658.jpg
20211025_193658.jpg (146.44 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Derek

Post by Derek »

I’ve got copper lines on the Charger, you can even use your original fittings, make them yourself, you only need a flaring tool or get someone to make them the same length as your old ones
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Hi all,
I need to replace my transmission cooler lines as well, I already have the new lines but the one that needs replacing is too short. Or, it at least looks to be too short. After checking in the manual my original lines look like they’re connected the wrong way round.
According to the manual, all V8s from the 383 2 BBL to the Hemi were fitted with the A 727 B transmission, my engine is the 383 4 BBL, so as it’s all original it should have the A 727 B transmission.
Looking at the photo below from the manual, the line I’ve marked in black shows the hot fluid leaving the transmission and flowing towards the radiator, connecting to the radiator on left hand side, (as you look at the front of the car). With the cooled fluid returning to the transmission through the line connected to the right hand side of the radiator (as you look at the front of the car).
The cooler line I’ve marked in black is the one I need to change, but on my car it’s connected the opposite way round at the gearbox so the line goes from the transmission fluid in connection on the gearbox to the transmission fluid in connection on the radiator.
Does it make any difference which way the flow of fluid travels through the radiator / will it be ok to fit my new lines the opposite way to how they are now?
As the photo from the manual shows a Hemi engine, does the size of engine fitted make a difference to the flow / position of the cooling lines?
I don’t have an external transmission cooler, unlike the example in the photo, just the one in the radiator.
Hopefully this all makes sense
TIA
Attachments
4AE25A3D-BD2E-4C75-B907-9E8E35F24AFD.jpeg
4AE25A3D-BD2E-4C75-B907-9E8E35F24AFD.jpeg (223.2 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Blue

Post by Blue »

If you're connecting to the stock cooler in the bottom of the rad it makes no difference which side the "hot" line connects to. Braided line gets expensive especially when you need angled fittings to stay clear of the exhaust, its bulky too. I use 5/16" Kunifer and bend and flare my own, not hard to do.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thanks Blue,
I already have the replacement pipes, just wanted to make sure it was ok to connect them the opposite way to what they are now. It is the stock radiator cooler I’m using.
Thanks for your help
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage