440 to go in ashley's zephyr

It's not Mopar, but we like it

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

440 to go in ashley's zephyr

Post by mygasser »

our ashley bought my old mk3 zephyr off me a few years back now and it's had engine swaps since i built this one back in 2000. first it had a 351 cleveland/c6, then a 350 chevy/th350 and now it's getting a mopar 440/727.
this engine came from duncan watts probably 10+ years ago, he said it was in a running 70's barracuda. we fitted a comp' thumper cam kit, new double roller timing set and my mate bolted it into the 66 fury he bought from me. last year, maybe the year before he spun a bearing (low on oil :roll: ) and it's sat in bits since.
a couple of months back i mentioned a 383/727 for sale on here to ash' to replace the current chevy he had and that it'd stroke to 496 cu in. he'd planned a 383 stroker for the 350 but if big's good then bigger's better right? the 383 mopar came as a runner from chris (witorque on here) so ashley being greedy spoke to him and swapped the stripped 440 for the complete 383, win win. kerry gets a running engine for his fury and ash' gets a 440 to build an even bigger stroker :thumbright:
it'll be a slow process as ash must save to get the bits needed from 440 source so i suggested we get the stock crank' reground and reassemble the engine as is. at least he gets to use it sooner and we can get all the mounts, fenderwell headers etc etc sorted.
more as it's done..... if you're interested.
neil.
Matt74

Re: 440 to go in ashley's zephyr

Post by Matt74 »

I'm interested!
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

ash took the crank to our local guy (about 3/4 mile from my house) and after taking measurements he said it should be clean at 20 thou ends and 10 thou mains. that's good news then.
finally ash is also on board with my suggestion to make a full chassis for the car along with new floors and bulkhead. we'll build the chassis up complete and then cut out the old floors and bulkhead front to back and lower the body onto the new chassis. just like i did with my anglia gasser estate. the engine can get a better setback this way too as at some point ash wants to fit a blower so room for the pulley has to be figured in.
neil.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Neil,
You make that sound so simple!!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Pete

Post by Pete »

I am sure you can make it harder - what about twin Turbos???
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i tried to steer him that way pete, but he's got his heart set on an 8/71 blower. we'll see how he likes the fuel consumption of a 440 first, lol.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

MattH wrote: Wed Nov 23, 22 10:59 am Neil,
You make that sound so simple!!
it's only metal :thumbright:
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the chevy engine and box are out ready to go. now it's got to wait it's turn for (first) a rolling chassis to be made.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

it's been a while but the engine guy's been in touch with ash saying the crank's done. 10 on the mains and 30 on the ends. he'll be happy once he starts comparing prices with the small block chevy he had before, lol.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

little update, ashley called to say there's a pair of bbm performer rpm heads on ebay for £400 :shock:. one has a small crack by a water port that needs welding and the engine they're from looks to have ingested some little bolts that've left their signature in the face. i asked if it was buy it now and told him to buy them. he has and we'll get them welded and skimmed once they arrive. he's a happy bunny now :thumbright:.
neil.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Result!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

mygasser

Post by mygasser »

Pete wrote: Fri Jul 14, 23 10:43 pmResult!!
i thought so too :thumbright: . when i said buy them before anyone else sees them he had to call his missus who was out at the local bingo hall to buy them as it's her ebay account they use :D
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

we collected an explorer 8.8 axle for the zephyr last week. it has had the 3.73 gears swapped by hauser for 3.25's which should be nicer as the 727 box has no o/d. it should be quick enough still but nicer on the motorways with the revs being a lot lower. it looks like i'll inherit the explorer axle he'd previously bought which still has the 3.73's, it'll go under my nash which is ok as that'll have a 5 speed manual box to keep the revs down.
neil.
Pete

Post by Pete »

You certainly like a project! or 6!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

mygasser

Post by mygasser »

sure do pete, we've finished all the welding on the mk2 zephyr v8 and now we're doing bits of welding and panel fitment/gapping on a minor v8 before it goes for paint. oh, and ash came round and we did the clutch on my daily ford s-max today (oh joy). one day we'll get on with my car, lol.
neil.