Copper v Sainless steel v Nickel plated?

Moderator: Moderators

TIB3300

Copper v Sainless steel v Nickel plated?

Post by TIB3300 »

Morning all ;)

As I want to bling up my engine bay, and am looks at alternatives to copper brake pipes :read2:

Q Has anyone ever used stainless steel pipe?
I would imagine its difficult to flair ? :-k

The other option I have seen is this on the bay, "Silver Steel Nickel Kunifer Brake Line Pipe"
Q With this pipe has anyone used it? and does it keep its shiny appearance?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364070957019 eBay item number:364070957019
Thanks
Attachments
gfhhehtejtjtyjyjyujyky.png
gfhhehtejtjtyjyjyujyky.png (658.3 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Blue

Re: Copper v Sainless steel v Nickel plated?

Post by Blue »

Stainless is really tough to work with, you’d need something pretty heavy duty to bend and flair it. If the kinifer is nickel plated I’d say it won’t stay shiny for long once the elements have got to it.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

The Cupro Nickel (Kunifer) pipe i used under the rear of the car went a bit green after a year or so, presumably due to the copper content (90%).
But cleans off with some wire wool.
The same stuff i used in the engine bay has stayed the same copper-y colour it was when it was fitted 10 years ago.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i had pure copper on a VW van
1) half the world says is dangerouse and will work harden and crack, the rest did not agree (of course it didn't i'm still here)
2) it goes green when exposed to road grime it goes dull when not. its not staying shiny very long

the standard untreated kunifer, where you can see it give it a buff and spray it in clear coat or brass instrument lacquer if it works on a trumpet or trombone exposed to dribble and beer most of its life, it will work to some extent here

i was going to say remeber the pipe nuts are "No lead" style and there is that odd sized one for the master cylinder to stop you plumbing it all the wrong way round.... but its not a mopar.. forgot :)

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Blue wrote: Wed Feb 01, 23 7:32 pm Stainless is really tough to work with, you’d need something pretty heavy duty to bend and flair it. If the kinifer is nickel plated I’d say it won’t stay shiny for long once the elements have got to it.
Yes this was my thoughts Blue :thumbright:
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Stu Twin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 23 10:23 pm The Cupro Nickel (Kunifer) pipe i used under the rear of the car went a bit green after a year or so, presumably due to the copper content (90%).
But cleans off with some wire wool.
The same stuff i used in the engine bay has stayed the same copper-y colour it was when it was fitted 10 years ago.
Thanks , I was thinking of clear/coating them ?
TIB3300

Post by TIB3300 »

Dave999 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 23 9:19 am i had pure copper on a VW van
1) half the world says is dangerouse and will work harden and crack, the rest did not agree (of course it didn't i'm still here)
2) it goes green when exposed to road grime it goes dull when not. its not staying shiny very long

the standard untreated kunifer, where you can see it give it a buff and spray it in clear coat or brass instrument lacquer if it works on a trumpet or trombone exposed to dribble and beer most of its life, it will work to some extent here

i was going to say remeber the pipe nuts are "No lead" style and there is that odd sized one for the master cylinder to stop you plumbing it all the wrong way round.... but its not a mopar.. forgot :)

dave
Thanks Dave :thumbright:

MOPAR :-k =

For me its the engine

I do class my car as a MOPAR now ;)
Attachments
mopar.jpg
mopar.jpg (145.53 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

more a case of mopowered :thumbright: