Wheels and tyres

Moderator: Moderators

Pat Rooney

Wheels and tyres

Post by Pat Rooney »

Desperate Help can anyone tell me what is the widest steelys and backspace I can put on a 69 Coronet. So I can order with Chris at Goodale Thanks Pat.
Really appreciate it
Pete

Re: Wheels and tyres

Post by Pete »

Hi Pat.

That is a difficult ask.

It is not that simple - each car IS different, and that is down to standards and built quality of cars 50 years ago.

I have had several cars where the wheel and tyre combo will fit on one side but not on the other due to the inaccuracy of build on the line, plus 50+ years of "improvements" by subsequent owners.

I have seen cars with 2" different clearance from side to side due to quarter panel variance.

I also feel that because of the above, people will not want to proffer an answer in case your combo does not fit and in some way they could be perceived as being accountable - "Well, you said it would fit"....etc

The only way is to mock up the car and get under it with a tape measure - or make cardboard templates.

On my old Coronet, 8.5" wide wheels would go on it with a specific tyre, and 10" wide with the same tyre would not go on - the other factor here is Ride Height as well and that can make all the difference.

Back space of the chosen wheel is critical as well.

You have to factor in:

Axle widths - I have seen cars with non-centred axles.
Ride Height - different springs, hangers and shackle lengths.
Wheel diameter.
Wheel Back Spacing.
Wheel offsets.
Tyre Heights and aspect ratios.
Bodywork as mentioned above.

If you cannot find anyone locally with a Ford or a Mopar (5 x 4.5" PCD) who has the wheel and tyre combo you want, then you will have to mock up as above, or play safe with a less radical combination.

I hope you get this sorted soon.

Pete.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Pat Rooney

Re: Wheels and tyres

Post by Pat Rooney »

Thanks Pete
It's all to technical for me. Think I will go 8x15 all round and see how it goes. Does that sound safe to you?