stripping my engine down

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

you been round my garage today,as I have stripped my 383 this afternoon & have one ex valve the same colour as yours.Isn't that strange :D
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

That is pretty normal. In fact that should all be a little like that. The ones that are black have been running too rich.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Strange that some can run richer than others,considering the air & fuel comes from a common source for all cylinders :? Unless the inlet manifold is smoother on some ports than the others.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Check out the casting numbers on the heads to find out what you've got for a start...then you can look at a few tweaks to suit the rest of your engine set up...no good having beautifully ported big valve 906's if you are running a two barrel! ;)

Funny that just those two inner exhaust valves seem to be running right and the ones on the outside are sooty...are you running cast iron exhaust manifolds?
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

BTW I was guessing you were using a flash on the camera? It makes the "buff" exhaust valves look brighter than in real life. If they are too bright in colour then the engine could be too lean. A nice tanned flesh colour is about normal on a correctly tuned engine.

Adam68 said.
Strange that some can run richer than others,considering the air & fuel comes from a common source for all cylinders
Not on a dual plain manifold it don't.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dave,this is exactly what I had on two of the exhaust valves when I pulled the heads.The intake was a factory 383 4 barrel.Just curious as to why this would happen.