Illegal indicators

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Your new situation is the way they are supposed to work so whatever you did, you fixed summick I'd say. well done :D
Holly

Post by Holly »

I've never had any problems with that, the red running lights on the Charger or red indicators on the Daytona ... maybe cause of the way I drive though.
charger01

Post by charger01 »

It can be a pain in the rs when oncoming cars are flashing you thinking that your front indicators are stuck on. My car is a 1970 with orange lenses (on side lights and indicators)I have often thought of sticking some 68 lenses (clear)on the front to prevent any confusion.
Anyone got some for sale?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

How dare you,you can't put 68 parts on a 70 front. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hope to mope wrote: Am I right in thinking that it's illegal to have em this way? It passed its MOT like this.
Actually, does anyone know what the law is with indicators? I'm pretty sure it's legal to have dim (ie. 5W) yellow lights on the front as side lights and in the same lense a bright (21W) flashing as an indicator. I was never stopped in the Trans Am with this arrangement. I think some of the newer Land Rovers and Range Rovers have something similar, so I reckon it must be ok. Anyone know for sure?

What about the rear? I heard somewhere (can't remember where) that anything pre-'70 can have flashing red (effectively flashing brake lights) as indicators. Anyone know this for certain? I hope so, cos I think it looks ultra 8-) (as long as the idiot behind you knows what it means! :banghead: )
Pete

Post by Pete »

Pre Sept 65 for Red rear indicators.... :cry:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
charger01

Post by charger01 »

Adam68 wrote:How dare you,you can't put 68 parts on a 70 front. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for that Adam,just realised how much the value of my car would drop if I did that :D :D :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Walked straight into that one didn't I. :D
MattH

Post by MattH »

Any front position lamp has to be white unless it is part of a yellow headlamp (ie french style car ). A front position lamp is the same as a sidelight.
Indicators have to flash on and off, not brighter/dimmer.
Manufacturers spec in OK in the states but not here, vehicles on UK roads have to comply with the lighting regs and Construction& use regs, hence no red rear indicators, not red flashing sequential tail light/brake light combos.
Best bet is to get the side light as a part of the headlamp, and have the orange lamp as an indicator only. Completely legal then, and does not affect the look of the car from outside.

Any colour washer jet other than white is illegal, as they are classed as a position lamp, and therefore have to be white.

My 2 pennorth, and I teach and enforce this stuff to pay the mortgage.
Most of the time though you might get stopped by someone who doesnt know the law well enough, but why chance it, make it legal.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car