Drag Week

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Steve Chapman

Drag Week

Post by Steve Chapman »

Been watching the highlights on YouTube from previous years. Anybody on here thought about doing it. I know Mick Wilkes did it in the Viva van. Looks a great event, punishing on the cars and drivers though. Wish I had the money and time.
Blue

Re: Drag Week

Post by Blue »

To do it in something really fast you'd need deep pockets and some contacts in the area I reckon. Mike Deakin was talking to me a few years ago about his idea of going out there and buying a decent car to do the daily driver class. Shipping that back and selling it would go some way to keeping the costs a bit more sensible.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

If you want a good write up of a foreigner going over there check out Jyrki from Finlands story in their twin-turbo 67 Plymouth VIP, a legitimate 7 second car though detuned a bit from Drag Week, (still got as low as 8.0*) - they had a major fight from start to finish, requiring both the deep pockets and local contacts that Blue mentioned.

Can find their story on Moparts here and also a guest appearance here. In fact the latter thread is also full of Drag Week goodness, the author Billy and his brothers run Drag Week every year and go through their experience in all the detail, struggles, victories etc!!

All Mopar of course......
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Steve Chapman

Post by Steve Chapman »

Yeah a lot of it is down to cost. Shipping a car there and back , I'd not even guess that. It's bad enough shipping one way. Take into account insurance ,fuel, accommodation , breakages. It's pie in the sky for most over here I suppose. Unless you fly over , buy a car like Blues on about. Race it, then ship it back ?. On the previous years vids, there are quite a few Scandinavians , and oddly loads of Aussies. Be a lottery winning bucket list job for me.
Will check out the Finn's adventure
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Thanks for posting the links, Gavin. What a great read. The quick diary version on page seven really sums up the adventure. Great stuff and shows a side of America where generosity and friendship come naturally.