Engine Stands

Moderator: Moderators

Engine Stands

Post by Guest »

Anyone had any experience of either of these 2?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=020110465 &
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc.9/ ... id.6065/.f

Will be for an all iron big block - to give an idea of the weight
Cheers
Iain
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have used a Sealey type on several occasions and they are OK fora BB
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have the clarke one from machine mart. I found that the adjustable arms were a tad short for my 383BB but they did fit, I just had to bolt them into a closer hole which made the engine tilt to one side. Maybe its just me not doing it right. I can take a pic and measure the arms if thats any help. It was very stable with the four castors though.
Kev

Post by Kev »

I've got that Machine Mart four castor one and it was great for a 318, only problem was geting the engine onto the stand as my crane (also Machine Mart) wouldn't let me get in there. I ended up having to bolt the arms and plate to the engine then lift the rest of the stand up and onto the ratating bit then drop the engine and stand on the floor as one bit. I am planning to use the same stand for a 440.
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Minty

Post by Minty »

Got the same stand has Kev with 440 attached,had the same problem as well,had to bolt the arms on first then had to lift the stand onto the arms,tricky on your own,has,nt fallen off yet :wink:
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 -1006 Magnum 360 Rocket ship
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 rolling shell under restoration -667
2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :D
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Yup. Same stand as Kev. It took my 440 fully assembled (but dry) no problem. About a year after I bought it I sold it at the Nats for ?5 less than what I paid for it. I think ?5 is good for a years rent?

I seem to remember taking a file to the slots or something to get the mounts to spread enough to fit the trans bolt pattern?? I don't think it took much work though?

I did borrow a lighter 'three leg' version before that but it was sagging reall bad and scared the hell out of me just looking at it. I stripped as much off the engine as fast as possible to get the weight down before something cracked! :shock:
db

Post by db »

I have the 3-leg version, used it a few years ago for a Chev BB. Id did kinda look strained but worked good.
I got a plate made cos i didnt trust the slidey adaptor things- made a pattern in plywood to reach all bolt holes and you can put the tube wherevers best for C of G.
Cost ?20 to have it cut out & welded in 1/4" plate- well worth it.
No-one will believe you...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There is a bigger Sealey one with extra cross support for the leg, we use that for the Keith Black... even though it's lighter than a stock iron big block :scratch:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Mine.
Guy

Post by Guy »

where has all you hair gone James or is that just a very old picture :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

maybe its tied in a ponytail?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Old pic.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Could we not start a members and the engines they have known and loved section?!