fan

Moderator: Moderators

Mick

fan

Post by Mick »

Can anybody reccomend a decent electric fan. I have got a flex fan but it looks pretty lethal if you ever caught yourself on it.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Mick, try your local breakers the twin fans from a sierra or granada are quite a good size
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Spail fans (well i think thats how you spell it )
Available from Hauser's superb best fan i have ever used (16" will keep the sun cool) I have never had a overheating problem since I fitted it.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanx for replies.
How much did you pay Hauser for fan
Alex

Post by Alex »

#-o SPAL Guy ! (as used on Ferrari's!)
Rich

Post by Rich »

If you want to go the breakers yard route(cheap),it depends where you want to mount them.
If you are going to mount them engine side of the rad(pullers) then go for a pair from a Rover 827 or two from two rover 820`s as the 820 only has one per car.
If you want to mount them grille side of the rad then a Peugeot or Citroen diesel will give you a good pair of pushers all housed in a neat plastic shroud.
I have used both set ups on yanks and the Rover ones kept a 500+ HP Pontiac at 185 degrees using a Kenlowe stat.HTH :sign7:
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks A

About ?120 expensive but worth every penny they have special blades or something to stop them cracking and are very nicely balanced.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Also very thin, I will post a piccy tommorrow.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

I was standing in front of Guy's Cuda at Shakey with that fan switched on...damn near lost me trousers :shock:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Just had the front end off a Renault Laguna V6, that has twin pusher fans also.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Pusher fans are up to 20% less efficient than puller fans I went through all of this when I had my overheating problems two years ago. It was all expained to me by a engineer who worked for Rolls Royce areo engines who works with air flow so i believed him .
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Yeah. The last thing you need is a big lump of plastic fan and shroud in front of the radiator obstructing airflow into the core. Drawing air through the core is much better.

I am quite happy with my Summit own brand chrome jobbie. Connect the fan to the alt output rather than to the +ve of the coil. It will run much better and not pull down the voltage to the coil when it cuts in.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Oh and Painless Performance Products do some nice wiring kits to work your fan.

For those of us not using the heater they do a neat thermostat switch that screws into the water pump heater outlet on the block. So you are measuring the water temp in the block directly.

You can get their products through Summit too.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Here is another tip free of charge. :wink:

You see that plastic overflow catcher I have on the side of my radiator?

If you fit one of these you can run a pipe from the inlet at the top, down to within a half inch of the bottom of the bottle. That way it acts as an expansion tank and any water pushing out of the radiator cap will get sucked back in again as the water cools. This keeps your radiator filled to the max. 8)