Machine shops in the Bedfordshire/local area

Moderator: Moderators

Machine shops in the Bedfordshire/local area

Post by Guest »

Sometime in the near future I will need some machine work carried out on crank, heads and block.
Does anyone know of a company that does a good job, but isn?t extortionately expensive.
Will be needing heads and block hot tanked, block rebored, crank reground, larger valve seats recut and a valve guide replaced.
I usually use Real Steel, but for the work required its getting into silly money area, and as im on a minimal budget ? cheap is good at the moment! 8)
I?m located about 10mins from the M1 J11 ? so don?t really want to be travelling for ages to drop off and collect, but will travel within a reasonable distance.
Thanks for any help :D
Iain
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

How about Oxford, Ian?

Paynes in Eynsham are very helpful, reasonably priced and as Mister Benn will confirm, if something doesn't need doing, they'll tell you rather than just do it and charge you.

Proper engineers too.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com

Post by Guest »

Thanks Ivor,
Any idea how much they would be for a bore and crank grind? (just as a rough ballpark figure)
Cheers
Iain
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

I can do better than that, Sunbeam!

Big Block Mopar through their degreasing bath and cleaned.
30 thou rebore.
Crank micropolish (grind unnecessary, but journals marked).
Pressing rod bolts in.
Fitting pistons.
?277...I picked up the motor a week or so back, excellent service and Mister Benn described the work as faultless.

So, as I would imagine that you are more than capable of prepping the block, fitting your own rod bolts and pistons, I would guess the price will be pretty similar.
HTH 8)
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Jon Benn

Post by Jon Benn »

Iain try www.fjpayne.com great company, they have also just repaired a holed block in something expensive red and Italian for a freind, and did the white metal work on my 175cc Norman Knight about 30 years ago forn ?10.00.

Ring the number on the web page press one and you get straight through to Roger Payne himself.

Post by Guest »

Thank you both, much appreciated :D
Now to get through this weekend without breaking Colin Lazenby's car (me.... worried.... :P more like petrified) and all things being OK, can give them a call next week.
Have a good weekend... mine starts a tad early tomorrow morning :D
Kev

Post by Kev »

Iain! You famous Dude! You are mentioned in the EuroDragster Event report. Hope you are gonna do a write up of your experience! "Eye Opener" indeed!
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>

Post by Guest »

Kev wrote:Iain! You famous Dude! You are mentioned in the EuroDragster Event report. Hope you are gonna do a write up of your experience! "Eye Opener" indeed!
Hi Kev,
Will be putting one together later on :) as i need to do a review for a certain drag related site, along with loads of the forums I visit.
Seriously good fun, though I ache something rotten at the moment.. but to see a 8.37 & 169 (if I remember correctly) makes it all worth while.
I need a 706 :D