1973 Charger winter makeover thread

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Great result :thumbright: and your right not to cut your dash you'd regret it latter, mine was cut before I got it and not very well :(
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Nice work, you'll never get drag radials in the trunk now!
Out of interest, what output alternator are you using to drive the amp?
I also have a spare amp but presumed the standard output alternator would not be up to it.
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

MilesnMiles wrote:Nice work, you'll never get drag radials in the trunk now!
Out of interest, what output alternator are you using to drive the amp?
I also have a spare amp but presumed the standard output alternator would not be up to it.
I have no idea. However, the alternator is off an A/C car, and mine has no A/C. with virtually no power gadgets
Looks to be fairly new as well, but i have no idea of the output.
There doesn't seem to be any detrimental effect with the stereo going.
How do you measure the output or find out what its supposed to be?
"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

Its been a little while since i updated the thread (been in Mexico), and i suppose technically its not a "winter" project anymore, but the work continues.
While i was away i got my mate to put in new lower control arm bushes. They needed doing professionally as they're a pig to get out, and he has a decent press in the workshop to fit the new ones. While he was there i got him to chuck in some new top balljoints as well. They were ok, but since i had a pair of new ones kicking around, and the rest of the kit is new, at least i know its been done. Upon my return, he relieved me of a days labour and swore at me quite a bit and said the bushes were a pain! Still, all good now :oops:
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

While i was in mexico, i visited a few parts stores looking for some new rear shocks. Unsurprisingly, i didn't have much luck. I was quite specific that i wanted Monroe Max Air. Thought i might save a bit on shipping. I even had the holiday reps phoning round for me. Lol.
Anyway, in the end it was down to good old Rock Auto. They plopped on the door mat a day after we got home.
I've used Monroes on the last three Yank cars i've had and i can't praise them enough. Always make a big difference for the better, and the adjust-ability is really good if you regularly carry passengers.
When i got the car back with its new bushes my buddy had been a bit enthusiastic on the torsion bar and front ride height, and it made the back look really low.
After fitting the shocks, which was pretty straightforward i spent a bit of time playing with the ride height, and got the car sitting just right (in my humble opinion). It now feels much more secure on the road, and has gone some way to improving handling. The bushes have helped eliminate some of the noises from underneath too. I still get the occasional twanging noise from somewhere under the front which i've yet to track down... :read2:

Gareth

Post by Gareth »

That's a great looking car. 8-)
All we are is rust in the wind
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

Gareth wrote:That's a great looking car. 8-)
:oops: :love3:
rockinpete

Post by rockinpete »

Spot on mate, colour, stripes, stance all perfect. "do it your way" is always best :thumbright: