can't wait for my first mopar to arrive

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

BigRawuk

can't wait for my first mopar to arrive

Post by BigRawuk »

Afternoon all,

Put a lot of faith in the advertiser of a 1966 Dodge Coronet 4 door saloon from Deer Park, New York State, whose nex tdoor neighbour/sister then He have had this 70k miles 318cui since new. $18000 documented engine, 727tf and Dana rebuild, inc 4bbl carb - some 6 years ago. His kids aren't interested. Body is said to be solid but has some dings. The full service history box, inc original manuals, bill of sale, title and much more arrived by UPS.

Car is in a container and currently near Italy on live tracking, due to arrive at Felixstowe on 08/05/19. Can't wait.

We're still in touch by email and I hope that my leap of faith across the pond is not mis-judged. I bought for $5000USD/£3825. I expect a lot of work and am going to remove the engine and box - then off for a full re-spray at the highly renowned Topcoat Bodyshop, here in Halifax.

Where should I look please to get my spares from? Is anywhere doing reproduction body panels? The factory AC system was removed by Him and is in a box in the boot. Who knows how I'll get this back in!

Any advice appreciated please Ladies & Gents.
BigRawuk

Re: can't wait for my first mopar to arrive

Post by BigRawuk »

Here it is
Attachments
57178936359__BB0C987D-7997-42C4-AB4B-9F840F15C0B9.JPG
57178936359__BB0C987D-7997-42C4-AB4B-9F840F15C0B9.JPG (78.84 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Depends on what you need and how quick you need it, I mostly use Rockauto for my spares which usually arrive within a week. For larger parts Summit or Jegs and get them shipped to STS in Florida they have a regular container but takes a bit longer.
There are plenty of UK places as well but as my Mopar is a resurrection project I'm not in a rush for parts so tend to buy from the States.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
MattH

Post by MattH »

I would think with a car that original you won't need body panels, just minor repairs at most. Much better to keep as much original metal as possible, and don't strip it so far that it is 20 years work to put it back together again, (been there).
Does it need to come apart straight away or would you look to get it up and running, MOT it and use it for a few months before deciding what is needed? (I know its MOT exempt but £50 for a fresh set of eys to go over it and see its safe, plus you get a good look whilst its on a ramp.
if it runs and drives already I'd suggest getting out and about in it, have some fun before pulling everything out, as it will take 4 times as long as you first estimate and probably cost a bit (lot) more than first guess as well.

Your car, your choices, but having something to jump in and cruise really helps keep it fun, a pile of parts in the garage can get demoralising.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
BigRawuk

Post by BigRawuk »

Thanks both of You - I am very grateful of your advice and suggestions. I'll be taking it to Steve and George Chiles, here in Halifax, for some advice when here.

I want it resprayed and the owner told me He had the windows re-installed, but a poor job and they leak, so I need that looking at ahead of the UK weather ruining things. Any ideas for front and rear window rubbers please?

She's a runner and I have videos as such and was in weekend use, apparently. I agree regarding the MOT as my kids will be coming in it. That was another bonus as I wouldn't buy much without rear seatbelts, or something that I know I could have had them fitted to.

I always try to buy something with genuine seeming owners and history/no butchering. Just sold my very much loved Mercedes 560sec Carat Duchatalet to start my muscle dreams that have spanned decades. Dad used to take me to stars & stripes and car shows as a kid but until He died I never realised how much I should have a v8 throb in my own garage.
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Nice purchase you have and she looks good from the photo.

I would say as Matt has already, test the water and see what she needs, you have winter to sort the issues.

You can get parts from many places here or US, just depends on what you want and how quickly you want it.

For example I was after started relay a couple of months back, asked suppliers in UK, got price and delivery, checked US and decided to get from US, and got 2 for the price of one in UK.

Good luck with your MOPAR and look forward to seeing it at Stars & Strips this year.
cheers Ali
Blue

Post by Blue »

Another vote for fix what needs fixing and use it for a while before pulling it limb from limb. Get hold of a factory service manual either a hard copy or on CD, wealth of information there. Don't be surprised if every ball joint and bush on the front suspension is shot, this is normal and not something the Americans tend to worry about in my experience. Those parts are cheap and readily sourced from the likes of Rock Auto which are most peoples go to for mechanical components. Screen rubbers should be readily available from US vendors and always check ebay.com, often worth buying that way, just watch the shipping charges. Buy new clips for the screen trim, they often break when the trim is removed and need to be replaced before the rubber goes in. Body panels and trim are the worst things to source for these cars, not much of it is reproduced so you are looking for good used parts which are often pricey. Most everything else is available these days which is nice...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
BigRawuk

Post by BigRawuk »

Thank You all again. Excited :shock:
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Nice looking car, seems to have all the main trim parts, which is good as it takes time and money to find decent replacements, so look after that if you do strip her down. Replacement panels aren't really available for pre 68 models apart from odd repair patches like the wheelarches, but hopefully she's as solid as described. I got mine pretty much the same way as you and had a decent honest seller, the car was at least as good as described in most areas.

Most mechanical parts are easily available, even odd bits like the plastic bobbins and doodads for the side window location and cranks, I'd agree with everyone saying MOT, fettle and drive it for a bit to get a feel for what she needs and what you want to do, but it's your car so don't get bogged down with that if you have a dream to play out.

I remember how I felt waiting for the ship to dock ! Looking forward to more pics on landing :thumbright:
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

Two doors..... to many!!!!!! and it`s a DODGE :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

You need :help: :help: :help:

:P :P :P

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX
BigRawuk

Post by BigRawuk »

Thanks to everybody who has taken time to help me. I had my heart set on a 2 door 440cui, but the history and seller just sold it to me. £3800 is a hobby to cut my teeth on and we'll see where we end up with this after a respray and a cool set of wheels. Wheel purchasing is high priority and I need to get some. Same suppliers as mentioned above or somewhere in the UK please?
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Cool car. I'm also a 4 door owner ( everyone has a 2 door :drwho: )
Got my widow rubbers and fuzzier from Steele in the U.S. Wasn't expensive from memory :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
BigRawuk

Post by BigRawuk »

Thanks Pal