5.7 HEMI MDS lifter issues

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

drewcrane

5.7 HEMI MDS lifter issues

Post by drewcrane »

Not sure how many of you guys own the modern hemis with the MDS(cylinder deactivation ) well I have a 12 r/t classic,love the car bought it back in 13 with 24k miles paid 25kUSD,I disabled the MDS electronically ,how ever the lifters are part of the mechanical sid of things, and last month #7 cylinder started chattering like a deck of cards,yep check engine light came on and after talking with 3 shops,(the third was the only one that answered or called back) I had the car towed over (gotta have AAA) saved my behind,so they tore it down did an oil sample, turns out the lifters seize and grenade and leaves all kinds of bits and pieces through out the engine, so the engine is trashed.

A new engine (back ordered for 2 months because this is a huge issue) and if you are sitting down it is a 35 hour job, $140.00 and hour ,yep talking almost 15 k usd and what they have to do is this, they have to take a brand new engine break it down get rid of the MDS lifters, and use Hellcat lifters because the Hell cats do not have MDS lifters , the 5.7,6.1, and 6.4 all have MDS (WHO the f%$# WANTS TO SAVE FUEL IN A MUSCLE CAR NOT ME!) IDIOTS ok still a bit huffy.... with this,so any way this gets worse, the car kelly blue book THE CAR is worth about 8 to 10 k,so needless to say I will not be going this route,and I told the shop to get it ready for me to just trade it in on another challenger,(NOT GOOD EITHER) but I called the stealer ship, and they would only give me 1k not running, and 7 k running, and of course the vulture salesman had no idea of the lifter issue, but when they found out that this engine was bad they just try to lease or sell me another car, well here is the problem, they have not fixed the problem,the new 2019,s will do the same thing,if I got a new one I would buy it and take it to this shop straight away and pitch the MDS immediately,yep tear down a new engine and put hell cat lifters and get rid of this disaster, thousands upon thousands of these cars are going down and people will be so up side down in value,there are 6 cars ahead of mine and 6 behind yes a dozen cars, alot of them are still making payments.

Ok so the shop found a used engine for 3800 bucks, and they will remove the mds,put it back in the car,and 7700.00 later I should be good, this is the cheapest way to get out from under this,and if I can get another 100k out of the car fine, if it starts acting up I will sell it out right cut my losses,and move on, this really sucks, enough for me to change brands :banghead:
MattH

Re: 5.7 HEMI MDS lifter issues

Post by MattH »

This sounds really bad. So this problem could surface on any of the V8 Challengers other than the Hellcat??
Does it appear to be a mileage thing that they break up at a certain mileage?

This could really hurt the value of the cars. Will this also affect Chargers in the same way then?
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

MattH wrote: Fri May 17, 19 8:18 am This sounds really bad. So this problem could surface on any of the V8 Challengers other than the Hellcat??

This could really hurt the value of the cars. Will this also affect Chargers in the same way then?
it affects all the hemis trucks,chargers challengers ,that have the MDS some earlier engines do not,and yes the value of the cars is in the gutter

here is a good watch

Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Ive been hearing tales of these issues recently, although none from actual owners of Hemi's.
Obviously all true now we've heard from you Drew.
Feel for you mate. Can only hope Chrysler pick this up and offer a re call on vehicles they think will be affected.
I won't hold my breath though!!!!
Let us know how it goes.
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Pete

Post by Pete »

Terrible news!

I have a 5.7 Hemi without MDS, but it has the infamous lifter rattle.... what next?

Hope you get it sorted, 'Drew... :cry:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MattH

Post by MattH »

drewcrane wrote: Fri May 17, 19 3:27 pm
MattH wrote: Fri May 17, 19 8:18 am This sounds really bad. So this problem could surface on any of the V8 Challengers other than the Hellcat??

it affects all the hemis trucks,chargers challengers ,that have the MDS some earlier engines do not,and yes the value of the cars is in the gutter

here is a good watch

That cam is a right mess, really worrying this. Could do Chrysler alot of PR damage. His last line "I don't know what to do, go back to Chevy..."
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

MattH wrote: Mon May 20, 19 9:54 am
drewcrane wrote: Fri May 17, 19 3:27 pm

here is a good watch

That cam is a right mess, really worrying this. Could do Chrysler alot of PR damage. His last line "I don't know what to do, go back to Chevy..."
Yea just so everyone knows,chevy started this mess,and they to have the exact same lifter failure ,this has been an issue for years, actually decades
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Ok time to put this to bed after 4 months and 9k later, I got the car back, it runs far better than before, mainly due to the fact we removed the MDS lifters from a doner engine with 73 k from a 2013 challenger,the top end was dissembled and we installed hellcat lifters,the engine then needed a new custom tune, and in fact is better than the stock tune from the factory, because we live at 5000 feet ,the cars run different, less horse power,but this tune allows the maximum power, for this elevation .

but the check engine light kept coming on, but yet the car runs great, so I purchased a blue driver and found the code minor misfire(I will be checking plugs,coils pac etc this weekend)but I was able to just shut it off,mating a different engine to a different car these days is not as easy as the old stuff,but the night mare is over,dam this was humbling to say the least, for the money I could build a big block stroker and have the cuda in the 11,s ffs.

Ok rant over carry on ,nothing to see here.... :D
Pete

Post by Pete »

Unbelievable!

It can't have done FCA's reputation a whole lot of good.... :cry:

Glad you (sort of) got it fixed...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Pete wrote: Thu Aug 15, 19 7:47 pm Unbelievable!

It can't have done FCA's reputation a whole lot of good.... :cry:

Glad you (sort of) got it fixed...
Yea it is a shame, because I really like the car, bu FCA ,IS NOT DOING ANYTHING!,I warn people about it and some of them,are having it fixed.
Gas for GOSH

Post by Gas for GOSH »

Thanks for the update Drew, glad yours is sorted now.
"Now some guys they just give up living - start dieing little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racing in the streets...." Bruce Springsteen
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Gas for GOSH wrote: Tue Aug 27, 19 11:51 pm Thanks for the update Drew, glad yours is sorted now.
Close,still had a p 300 code, I have to wait fora mate to get back in town to put it on a load reader to see just what cylinder is causing a miss fire, I bailed on the shop that did the work,I have already made the car run better just by cleaning the injectors, all the connectors,that got rid of one of the codes,but eventually it will get fixed :lol: