'58 (nash) rambler american family project

It's not Mopar, but we like it

Moderator: Moderators

mygasser

Re: '58 (nash) rambler american family project

Post by mygasser »

today after checking the inner wing/chassis area we decided to make a bit more room. there was no way the big block would fit between the bulges of the inner wings where the upper wishbones bolted up.
so........ before and after, lol.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0002 - Copy (26).JPG
IMG_0002 - Copy (26).JPG (89.63 KiB) Viewed 452 times
IMG_0003 - Copy (18).JPG
IMG_0003 - Copy (18).JPG (89.21 KiB) Viewed 452 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

we cut through the column above the steering box as it's set up for front steer and the steering arms have to go rearwards to keep the ackerman angle somewhat correct. we'll use one of the suzuki jeep boxes i have in stock as they work front or rear. the column will get a bush turned up to keep the inner central and a splined end fitted inside it for joining to the upper uj.
once the box and column are out of the way we can 'trim' the drivers side inner wing out too.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the column/steering wheel etc is out of the way now. i've left the column shift lever and rod/tube just tucked inside the car for now. we're going to try and cobble together a linkage to work the auto box from it so it looks more 'stock', lol. i did the same when i put the 440/727 in my '65 dart years ago so i know it's doable. also we removed the front bumper with it's irons and i'm undecided if i actually prefer it without......
looking at the inner wing stubs where the o/s is cut away and where it's got 2 inner wings (1 is the inner wing and the other is the wheel arch tub bit. funny old setup but where 1 is spot welded to the inside of the chassis rail and the other on the outside we'll leave those parts in place giving the rails 2 more layers of steel for added strength.
more plasma cutting soon, lol.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

that's the other inner wing/s out of the way and the strut top bit too both sides. also we removed the engine bay side of the heater assembly. it all needs a big grind up now then some welding of edges together for strength. the engine bay's much wider now, we'll need to have a measure up to see if it's long enough next.
neil.
ps you can see the big pile of sheet metal on the floor too.
Attachments
IMG_0001 - Copy (30).JPG
IMG_0001 - Copy (30).JPG (99.58 KiB) Viewed 362 times
MattH

Post by MattH »

That's ALOT of trimming out there, will you put some inner wings back in to build strength back in?
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

MattH wrote: Fri May 10, 24 10:04 am That's ALOT of trimming out there, will you put some inner wings back in to build strength back in?
it sure was, lol. it'll get a tube brace from the bulkhead somewhere strong (with a roll cage like spreader plate) going forward to where the suspension crossmember mounts to the chassis rails. there is still a 'box' section that the wing mounts to along the top in place so that helps too.
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

i forgot to add a pic of the car without the front bumper, doh! so here's a before and after comparison and apart from the likeness to a hovercraft i prefer it without. anything other than a gasser/street racer look i'd refit it but.......
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 - Copy (23).JPG
IMG_0001 - Copy (23).JPG (124.16 KiB) Viewed 303 times
IMG_0001 - Copy (31).JPG
IMG_0001 - Copy (31).JPG (102.79 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

Have you sold it yet?
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

the nash? no mate, not yet lol. the thing is it's the only one here in the uk so i won't be parked next to another.
i'm hoping to get to the supernats or if not the hotrod drags this year in it. we'll see :-k
neil.
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today ash came here and we got a fair bit done. we cleared all the scrap metal under the car and swept up before making more mess by grinding all the cut edges smooth ready for some seam welding. then we clamped the front axle on the workmate and dragged it under the car, measuring, moving, measuring, moving. measuring.......... finally it's where it needs to be so next job is to make a spring crossmember between the chassis rails so we can clamp that in place.
neil.
ps i couldn't resist resting the front wheels in place, lol.
Attachments
IMG_0001 - Copy (32).JPG
IMG_0001 - Copy (32).JPG (107.74 KiB) Viewed 267 times
IMG_0002 - Copy (27).JPG
IMG_0002 - Copy (27).JPG (91.39 KiB) Viewed 267 times
IMG_0003 - Copy (19).JPG
IMG_0003 - Copy (19).JPG (110.82 KiB) Viewed 267 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

we spent a little while playing with cad today. the first design we felt would be too close to the sump so mk2 is looking favourable.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 - Copy (33).JPG
IMG_0001 - Copy (33).JPG (112.08 KiB) Viewed 233 times
IMG_0002 - Copy (28).JPG
IMG_0002 - Copy (28).JPG (115.24 KiB) Viewed 233 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

today we went ahead with cad number 2 in steel. once welded in place we made top and bottom plates, the top going back over the crossmember. last job was a strengthening 'rib' from behind the crossmember up and forward on the top plate. the bolts are only temporary before anyone says anything 😉.
neil.
Attachments
IMG_0001 - Copy (34).JPG
IMG_0001 - Copy (34).JPG (94.77 KiB) Viewed 210 times
IMG_0002 - Copy (29).JPG
IMG_0002 - Copy (29).JPG (116.31 KiB) Viewed 210 times
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

we offered up the hairpins today and as the brackets are set on the axle the hairpins get closer together as they go back under the car. usually not an issue for bracketry but on the nash the 'chassis' rails sweep out from under the bulkhead to form the inner sills then in again to go over the rear axle and on to the back of the car. so above the rod ends there is only floorpan. anyway with the aid of some more cad we've designed a tapered 'box' that welds to the inside of the chassis running out across the floor to above the rod end. it's rear corner butts against an outrigger (should that be inrigger, lol) to further strengthen it. one side's made ready to weld in place once the floor and chassis are cleaned up and the other side's marked on the sheet ready to be cut and folded. the plan is that the gearbox crossmember will bolt to the inner ends of the 2 boxes to complete the strength full width.
neil
MattH

Post by MattH »

Fab ulous work, I admire you just getting on with it.
I spend too long procrastinating!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
mygasser

Post by mygasser »

MattH wrote: Thu May 16, 24 10:43 am Fab ulous work, I admire you just getting on with it.
I spend too long procrastinating!
cheers matt, it's only metal mate :thumbright: if you're confident with your welding abilities it usually goes well.
neil.