Steering wheel

Moderator: Moderators

Steering wheel

Post by Guest »

:? I want to put a sporty steering wheel on my '68 Dart. Can anyone advise me on the following? (a) Do I need a special tool to change the wheel? (b) Where can I get a suitable boss from, bearing in mind I quite fancy an old metalflake rim wheel, used, with a bit of patina on it? (c) My car has a horn ring, will the horn still work with an aftermarket wheel?
Kev

Post by Kev »

When I went to a Grant 'flake wheel I bought a grant boss from customVille. If you buy a new wheel it should have the horn push to fit the boss, if not secondhand will do. The boss comes with the horn push mech and this mates up with the switch mech on the column. The wheel bolts to the boss. Getting the wheel off requires a steering wheel puller or three hands to pull the wheel as you hit the lossened off nut with a hammer. :violent1:
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
db

Post by db »

An' dont smak yourself in the gob when the wheel jumps off!!! (yes i did an i saw stars :withstupid: )
My pickup incidentally had a feature where the horn would beep when i went over a bump- combination of a bit o up-n-down play in the coloumn and a spurious earth somewhere! i now have a button on the dash...
No-one will believe you...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i SERIOUSLY don't recommend the use of a hammer. Could break the bushes/bearings. Not worth the risk on something as safetly critical as that!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Knocking the centre shaft can cause the inner shaft to collapse inside itself as it is a collapsable set up, undo the nut but do not remove it, grip both sides of the wheel and pull/wiggle it firmly and it should give and pop of the taper, this is why you leave the nut on, 1 to save your nose and 2 to stop you flying backwards !

If not, then pop to the local car parts shop and buy a little puller kit, they are cheap and you will find many uses for it !
Kev

Post by Kev »

My shaft was solid :roll:
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well Kev, still not advisable to use a hammer on it, risk of nut damage :)
db

Post by db »

:D :D :D what, nobody else snigger at the last two posts? I'll get me coat...
No-one will believe you...
SteveCase

Post by SteveCase »

Yep paul, l suppose with a stiff shaft, there's always the risk of nut damage........................Wheres my coat too!
I will not be drawn into a battle of wits with an unarmed man!

STEERING WHEEL

Post by Guest »

:) Thanks for the advice guys. I will be giving it a go asap.