Harley Love?

It's not Mopar, but we like it

Moderator: Moderators

shovelheadrob

Harley Love?

Post by shovelheadrob »

It would appear that there is a bit of Harley love here so I'll put up a few pics of my Shovel, it's nearly finished, been a few years in the making but worth the time & effort.

Been trying to get it up & running before I get started on the Demon but I've just discovered a lack of compression on one cylinder, so pulled the heads. Exhaust valve not sealing, seat not corroded (I expected that as it's been stood for a few years) so a fresh valve job & back together soon.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Sweet. 8-)
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Great looking Bike.

Love the Air filter location, would be great if you could get some chrome surround for the element! 8-)
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I've got a bigger headlight on me pushbike. :lol:
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Lovely bike

Where is the front brake and clutch lever ??
Rogue Trooper

Post by Rogue Trooper »

8-)
I know on the market there's a throttle twist grip that can been used on the other side as a clutch twist grip so there's no visable lever, as for the front brake i've no idea :-k
1970 Charger 500
1934 Coupe
1954 F100
1972 Norton Commando Fastback

Your Mum Says Hi.

Mopar a God amongst insects.

Rule in Hell or be a Slave in Heaven.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Beautiful bike. Looks like a ton of mods on it, bet it sounds the nuts with that 2-1 pipe.

I've ridden Harleys since the late 70's and the 80" Shovel was my favourite.

My mate ran a 120" Shovel a few years back with an open primary and a 3" Primo belt. One night he ripped out of my local pub car park with me behind, picked up a small stone on the belt and it snapped in half. The belt went past my head like a bullet and landed about 40 feet away.
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

Bilko wrote:Beautiful bike. Looks like a ton of mods on it, bet it sounds the nuts with that 2-1 pipe.

I've ridden Harleys since the late 70's and the 80" Shovel was my favourite.

My mate ran a 120" Shovel a few years back with an open primary and a 3" Primo belt. One night he ripped out of my local pub car park with me behind, picked up a small stone on the belt and it snapped in half. The belt went past my head like a bullet and landed about 40 feet away.
Your right about the mods, the only thing that hasn't been re-engineered is the 4 speed transmission, the exhaust isn't a 2 into 1, it just looks that way from that angle.

The clutch is on the lefthand twistgrip, the brakes are linked, I just wanted the cleanest set of bars out there, there are only two small switches which are for the horn & the dipswitch.

Tony Jarvis did most of the fabrication for me, I designed this coil mount/head steady & he knocked it up, there are over a dozen bits of stainless all tig welded together in that bit alone. The same attention to detail has been followed through with everything.

It's the little details that really make it special like the rear brake line is routed through the torque arm.

I like things to be clean looking as in uncluttered & plan the same sort of theme for the engine bay with the Demon.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

That brake line is Class :notworthy:
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Quality bike Lovely !!!!

Gary :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

How do you adjust brake ballance between front and back and are those brake discs not prone to warping?? :?
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

Dave wrote:How do you adjust brake ballance between front and back and are those brake discs not prone to warping?? :?
Willwood adjustable proportioning valve hidden under the transmission, I don't expect the discs to get too hot, but we'll see!

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

Very nice bike.
I don't expect the discs to get too hot
Mine still has the original calipers and the MC with the microscopic return valve that clogs up so that the fluid can't return once you let the brake off, so the brake drags, gets hot, everything expands, the brake applies harder, gets hotter, applies harder...

Did finally get the clutch working properly though. A great day when you can stop without it dragging or slipping.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Showing my age here..

I bought this Superglide new in 1976 from Fred Warr when he had his shop in the Kings Road. This photo was taken just a few days after I picked it up from Fred in August 1976.

It is a 74ci (1200cc) shovelhead with 4 speed trans. I rode this bike accross Europe into Belgium, Holland, and France and Monte Carlo, Monaco. It was from the AMF era, which was not the best for HD, and I did have some reliability and quality issues with it. But I also had a lot of fun on it, a new Harley was a very rare sight in those days.

I have owned five Harleys over the years, including a Road King and a softtail Deuce, and in 2010 bought a new Superglide and rode it to France, Belgium, Holland in May this year. The only problem is I am not as good at getting on and off of them as I used to be. But I'm already planning my next bike.
Attachments
Jims 1976 Super Glide.jpg
Jims 1976 Super Glide.jpg (244 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Crikey, I wouldn't be too sure about that rear tyre Jim....looks like it's off a 1967 Morris Oxford! ;)

Where have all those original AMF Harleys gone?
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com