318 ignition timing

Moderator: Moderators

Drag Addict

318 ignition timing

Post by Drag Addict »

My humble apologies for posting this, but I can't find the info on a website search, so here goes....I need to strobe up the timing on my 318, single point dizzy, with vacuum advance. In my dodgy memory I seem to remember setting these engines with a strobe on tickover at TDC with the VA disconnected - am I anywhere close??
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Dave-R

Re: 318 ignition timing

Post by Dave-R »

Drag Addict wrote:My humble apologies for posting this, but I can't find the info on a website search, so here goes....I need to strobe up the timing on my 318, single point dizzy, with vacuum advance. In my dodgy memory I seem to remember setting these engines with a strobe on tickover at TDC with the VA disconnected - am I anywhere close??
Not even close.
Loads of threads on here about setting the timing. Modern fuel needs loads of initial advance otherwise half the fuel comes out the exhaust unburnt.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I was looking for your timing article to answer this Dave, thought it was a sticky?
Drag Addict

Post by Drag Addict »

Thanks gents!!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ive found that the best results (having asked the question and searched the threads etc) is to get the car running and warm if you can. Unplug the advance vac tube from the dizzy and plug it. Stick a tach on (in a good timing light or a cheapo digital tach) and loosen the dizzy just enough to be able to move it with resistance. Gently turn the dizzy to advance it while watching the tach. You will probably see (and hear) the RPM increasing as you turn it. Watch for the RPMs to peak and thats usually where the engine is happiest timing wise.

There is a ton of stuff on here about this and you will have to make sure that you limit the total advance (around 34 - 36 deg all in if I remember correctly). There are various ways of doing it and one of the easiest is using a dist advance limiter plate from Turnip at FBO.

If you find youre engine wants say 18 deg initial, try what I did.....

Take your timing light out with you on a run. Get her warm and dial in 17....test.....dial in 16 .....test......dial in 15....test etc. I found a nice spot at around 12-14 deg where she runs nice, idles, starts, no bog etc. Any lower and I got a little bog occasionally and a backfire from a standstill. Dont be scared to give her a little, just to put some load on to find that hiccup if its there.

I know a lot of people bang in the stock timing just to get her running then take it from there....some say 10 deg is a good starting point. Have a play...and a read on here (posts from Dave and Dave999 are always spot on).

Dont forget to check your idle mixture after youve timed her up and if she is running now, make a note of what she is set at now...you can always go back if you need to and start again. I got really hung up on trying to make sure that the TDC mark on the balancer was actually TDC and got a bit bogged down with info initially.

Sorry if Im teaching granny to suck eggs mate....Im a novice and just relied on advice and having a go....cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

If you don't have a timing light, try this for starters.
Warm car up fully. Turn off.
1/2" spanner to loosen distributor hold down clamp. Rotate dizzy a few degrees to advance it. Anti clockwise for 318.
Start motor and is should be idling faster and cleaner now.
With motor running advance the dizzy a little more. The engine will like this and idle will increase. Reduce idle.
Turn motor off and wait a couple of minutes, then start it.
Does it turn over ok? If so, fine. However if it starts to drag the starter motor down ( feels like a dying battery) then you have advanced the dizzy too much, back it off and tighten it down.
Find fave bit of road and cane it :twisted: it may well be pinking under heavy acceleration, if so you will need an FBO limiting plate as Steve sez above. This will allow you to keep plenty if timing at idle and prevent the car from over timing under load.
All easy basic stuff and you can tune it by ear if you don't have a vacuum guage or timing light.
Drag Addict

Post by Drag Addict »

Thanks Guys, I've got vac guage and timing light with built in advance. Tuning by ear in the dim and distant past always seemed to produce the best results, but it's good to have the target settings in the back of my mind when I'm doing it. Thanks!