Electroplated parts - DIY or outsource?

Moderator: Moderators

MrNorm

Electroplated parts - DIY or outsource?

Post by MrNorm »

What do you guys do about electroplated parts (zinc, gold passivate, etc etc).?

I've been giving a lot of thought as to the best option. I have all kinds of stuff but mostly fasteners that I'll need to reuse but are rusty and 'orrible. Wherever possible and economic I'll just use new ones, already got lots. But there are still some that I'll need to reuse.

Options are either to take them somewhere to be plated, or do it myself at home.
Have any of you used commercial platers What are the prices like and do they cater for hobbyists with small bits (ooo-er)/ small batches? Any recommendations?

Regarding doing at home, that looks appealing although I'm trying to resist my urge to do everything myself! Frost do some kits but they're not cheap. I've also found a few other places doing them cheaper but it still might not be a better option than outsourcing it. You can also get a book telling you how to do it at home. Looks like the least expensive option is a kind of black phosphating, which might be a good way to go. Mostly I'm not worried about whether the finish is 'correct', just that it's not going to look rubbish next to all the new stuff.

Maybe if there is enough interest and it makes sense we could even get a shared kit?
Any thoughts??
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

I have a nickel plating kit that works verry well ( out of chemicals now) it gives a bright silver finish , but not as good as chrome , it also goes dull after a time . it is verry good for nuts , bolts etc to prevent rust , i even done th hubs on my model "T" ford , 4 years on and its still good , easy clean and no rust . i got the complete kit for abbout ?40 , it took another few quid for plastic tanks and bits "N" bobs. i would recomend this type of kit to anyone its verry easy and gives good results with minimum effort. if i can find the paperwork i will post a contact number
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Thanks Trev, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for - and cheaper than anything I've found by some margin.
If you can find the details that would be great!!

(BTW Andy has just been filling me in on his latest plans....you dog!! :shock:)
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

Oh yess , much fun :D
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

Just rememberd whare i put the paperwork , in a safe place :oops:
the company is ( or was) :-
TECH-NICK
92 haltwhistle road
western industrial area
south woodham ferrers
essex CM3 5ZF

01245 325985
hope this helps , if you need it collecting it is only a few miles from me ( i dont think thay will post chemicals)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gavin, been having the same thoughts as you about this. On sunday though, i had a chat with the owner of the yellow superbee (awesome!).

Every nut and bolt on the car was new. Seems he bought all of them from Mr g's in the states.

Checked the website this morning and isn't as expensive as i feared.

Have a look at www.mrgusa.com

Got to be better than spending hours dangling bolts in strange chemicals! Some of my bolts are so badly pitted they will still look knackered even if replated.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Roger, yeah you're right, where the fasteners are available it's easier to get them! I've already gathered loads, from places like RT Specialties, A&M, MR G's etc, and lots of the bolts I can just buy new here anyway
But I know that still won't cover everything, nor other stuff like tank J bolts, maybe things like trunk or hood latches, wiper motor housing etc.
So if something is available cheaply, I'd be up for it.

I did call up TecNick Trev, but haven't got a reply yet. Did a lot of web searching and I think they may have moved to Dunmow, tried that number too and I'll have another go tomorrow.

Actually, one of the places I mentioned that I'd found is right up the road from me in Hoddesdon, and I believe they do the TecNick kits, plus a Zinc kit too. They were about ?70 if I recall, so I'll keep trying TN in case they are closer to the ?40 (being the manufacturer I presume). If not, I might go with one of the others.

Or I might just get the parts together and get them plated. Blue knows a place (Ashby plating) that seems OK.
Thing is, I just know I'll run into the odd occasion when I need something doing and don't have the time to send it off!!
If anyone else has any other experience (or wants to partner on a kit), speak up!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm speaking up! Hadn't thought about some of the odd bits.

I dont want to send them off, cos at the moment all the bolts are bagged in groups. If i give them to a plater he will just do em all in one go and i'll probably never be able to sort them out.

Also, have you been able to get any of them in stainless? Seems a shame to fit all new bolts only for the ones on the underside to go rusty all over again.

At the risk of being sad, did you know that a company in the states now does socketsets with a fibreglass insert specially for painted and plated bolts, to ensure no damage is done to the plating/paint, but still able to apply the necessary torque.?

I haven't brought myself to order a set yet, but after looking at the yellow superbee, mayde i should!
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

Gavin
if you can get the chemicals you can borrow my other stuff , nickel ingots , tanks and timer these are the expensive bits ,DONT BUY A TIMER
i have made one that works rearly well , all you need is the chemicals and a 12v suply , i even have a reverse polarity cleaning tank if you need it

Post by Guest »

I have used different plating companies in the past - they did a good job however it's not as convenient as doing it yourself - as and when you want!
I have zinc passivated all bolts (silver colour), however I think I'd go for gold passivating if I was doing it again as it is more resistant to corrosion and doesn't go the dull colour that the zinc does.

As a tip, if your bolts are very rusty you can chemically remove all the rust (without ruining the threads etc) by dipping the bolts in hydrochloric acid. You should be able to get it at a local agricultural suppliers yard or hardware store - roughly ?15 for 25 litres - 38% concentration I think. Be sure to remove ALL grease / oil before-hand by washing in cheap cellulose paint thinners as the acid does NOT remove oil or grease. Simply dip in acid until the rust is gone - and then rinse well with water and dry immediately with a hair dryer or heat gun. (you may have to degrease oily bolts after dipping in acid as the oil seeps through the rust over the years and seems to seep right into the pores of the parent metal as well). Don't over do the acid dipping or you'll end up with no bolts at all.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Been diverted in recent weeks but will try to wrap this one up soon - I'll get the final lowdown.

Trev - thanks for the offer and sorry I did not respond, I only just read your post now the thread's been resurrected!
I think the places selling kits do sell the chemicals separately, so I'll have a look at that, jolly decent of you!

Dave - where did you get your kit?

Roger - I did buy a kit of stainless engine bolts off Ebay some while back, reasonably priced. But I'd only use stainless in non-critical applications, I don't know enough about the different grades to be confident in getting the right one, and I do know that usually it's not as strong as steel.
But for cosmetic application, fine.
Also, yes I did know about the US company doing the fibreglass lined sockets, but they are EXPENSIVE! I did actually post a question about tips for tightening painted bolts without ruining them. Metric sockets with masking tape is the best answer I got!

In case anyone is further interested, here are the main useful results I found in my searches.

These are the various kits
http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/zinc.htm
http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/nickel.htm
http://www.speed-demon.supanet.com/Kits.htm (they do the Caswell plating kits, a big place in the US)
http://62.73.188.198/GLR/html/plating.html (this is the place just up the road from me)

And here's a post on DIY - haven't properly digested it yet.
http://members.tripod.com/cb750k2/Techn ... ating.html

I'll try to wrap up the options and get back to you Mo and Roger. Gut feel from half skimming through these is to get a cold black phosphate (cheap and effective), and a zinc or nickel kit (or chemicals...)

Post by Guest »

Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven't actually got a kit but I am now planning on either buying a kit or preferably make up my own kit - after I read the diy link. I am starting to ring around local chemical suppliers to see if I can get my hands on ammonium chloride and zinc chloride, along with a lump of zinc from the local scrapyard. seems pretty simple from there on.

Post by Guest »

I've now got my hands on zinc chloride and ammonium chloride, and a lump of zinc - so it's happy plating from now on - I hope :wink: