Challenger spare wheel/spacesaver options ?

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Challenger spare wheel/spacesaver options ?

Post by Garp »

Hi all,
Currently I run without any spare in my boot.
Running 275/50 R15 on the rear and 225/60 R15 on the front.
What are my options for a spare that I can use should either front or back go ? Is this even possible.
Love the "Hotwheels" stance of my car and don't want to change it.
Thanks
Garp
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Blue

Post by Blue »

Anything of a similar outside diameter that will bolt on will do, it's only to get you home after all. You will find once you put a spare in the boot, you have no boot...

Mate of mine has a 4x15 rim with a 165 tyre on it as a spare, looks bloody odd but it does the trick and takes up the least amount of space.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MattH

Post by MattH »

Having done the camping trip to France and realised that with a spare there is no room for anything else, I don't carry a spare, just a can of the tyre get you home spray foam, which is what some new cars now come with.
With a spare in the boot I dont even have room for chairs and packed lunch for a day out at a show.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have run a 14" spare with a 165 tyre to save space.
Cuda's came with space savers back in the day.

I would go with Matt's option and then its Breakdown assistance / recovery.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Guy

Post by Guy »

To save a little room if you can find on you could always use a Mercedes Space saver wheel and tyre, as they share the same bolt pattern.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

I'd love an E-body one day but I'd sure miss the trunk size that I've got used to in our B-bods :)
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Finding a space saver would probably be the best option. The goo kits are useless if you have an exploded or badly damaged tyre - may be OK if you have a slow puncture but that's about it. And the goo makes a hell of a mess.

When I've thought about this I think the key would be to get one that is really close to the diameter of your rear tyre. If it is different I imagine the diff will be spinning around a lot as you drive along, don't think this would be a good idea on a suregrip? Not great even on an open diff but for a limited time prob OK. Unless you want to carry another spare for the front I would match the rear size and put up with the likely probably horrible pull from the front if you have to use it there.

I would guess scrap yards must be full of unused spacesavers and not exactly an in-demand item, so if the right size could be found I don't imagine they would go for a lot.
Then again, my imagination is frequently wrong......
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Blue

Post by Blue »

Guy wrote:To save a little room if you can find on you could always use a Mercedes Space saver wheel and tyre, as they share the same bolt pattern.
Interesting, not heard of that before Guy. Are you sure it's exactly the same? it will be a metric pattern as opposed to the Mopar imperial. If it's not exactly right a tapered wheel nut will come loose and that never ends well...
Pete

Post by Pete »

My Altered has a Fraud 9" rear and Merc 190 discs on it....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yup and I once did an 8.75 brake mod using Merc 190 discs and had to elongate the holes slightly as the pattern was a little bit off...
Guy

Post by Guy »

My dart had merc discs on the rear and the bolt holes lined straight up so maybe in hind sight I naturally assumed that the wheels would fit too. If im wrong can a MOD pls delete the above comment. dont want anyone coming to any harm because of that statement
Garp

Post by Garp »

Blue wrote:
Guy wrote:To save a little room if you can find on you could always use a Mercedes Space saver wheel and tyre, as they share the same bolt pattern.
Interesting, not heard of that before Guy. Are you sure it's exactly the same? it will be a metric pattern as opposed to the Mopar imperial. If it's not exactly right a tapered wheel nut will come loose and that never ends well...
Guys ........ not trying to be a smartarse here but, if a spacesaver will do it, instead of a Merc' should I perhaps, just on the off-chance, try a Chrysler ?
Almost certain there will be a PT Cruiser or a Voyager somewhere in my local breakers .....
:?
Garp
Blue

Post by Blue »

Not sure what the stud pattern is on the later model stuff, wouldn't surprise me if that was metric now.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Our 97 Grand Voyager has a super skinny space saver under the boot, I can try and check the stud dimensions.
the internet websites say that Voyager is 5 x 114mm so metric but I dont know how close that is to what we have on Challengers?
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Garp

Post by Garp »

MattH wrote:Our 97 Grand Voyager has a super skinny space saver under the boot, I can try and check the stud dimensions.
the internet websites say that Voyager is 5 x 114mm so metric but I dont know how close that is to what we have on Challengers?
Strangely, the only thing coming up online at 5x115 is either Chrysler 300C (poor mans Bentley) or 2012 onwards Vauxhall Zafira, although I'd question the validity of the latter.
Trying to squeeze a 114 on is apparently dangerous as you will twist at least one stud when you torque down so not doing that .....
Might just have to adopt your "foam" approach and call the RAC if need be.
:thumbright: