Replacement soft top

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

69fury

Replacement soft top

Post by 69fury »

Hello fellow Mopar fans!

I'm new to the club, as I'm on my first mopar (first of many I hope), it's a 1969 Plymouth fury III convertible, 5.2ltr, 318. The car came with a replacement roof, albeit missing the rear glass (smashed on the boat over from the US), I've done all the mechanical work on the car up to now myself, but have been nervous about fitting the roof as I don't have clear instructions and can't afford £500+ for someone else to do it.

Does anyone have instructions to fit the roof other than the ones in the back if the workshop manual? Or anyone who would fit it cheaply and do a good job? Also any recommendations on the rear screen fix?

Attachments
IMG_20190711_145858.jpg
IMG_20190711_145858.jpg (106.2 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Pete

Re: Replacement soft top

Post by Pete »

Welcome to the club!

I cannot advise personally on the Top fitting - it may be worth having a word with John Castleman of JPC Restorations.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Hi and welcome to the club.

Nice Mopar.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Hello and welcome to the club
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Welcome! Wills old car.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Motorama

Post by Motorama »

I had 2 convertible tops done last year, one on a 60 Caddy in cloth and one on a 55 Caddy in vinyl, my guy is pretty experienced at them and its still a 2-3 day job minimum for one guy, the 60 Caddy top took longer, a lot of work, i'm not saying you couldnt do it but if you dont have the space , tools and know how it will show when the tops on the car, also cheap tops tend not to fit that well anyway. £500 is cheap for fitting a top. I see you're near Brighton, my guy is near Dorking, pm me if you wanted his details
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Welcome to the club 👍 Cool car😎
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Welcome, nice car :thumbright:
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

I've done two of these, it is possible if you have a LOT of patience and are methodical :D . The most important thing is to get the rear bow height measurement, either from one of the websites that sell convertible tops or by measuring your existing one if you have even the remnants of the old top on it. Search online and there are articles out there about doing it yourself.
Be prepared that as you go thought you will need to trial fit things, undo them, move them, retry, and keep going until it's right
It's time consuming, but if you haven't got the money to pay someone then set aside the time, buy a staple gun and some stainless staples and it is doable if you trust your own skill levels and take your time
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here