Woah - had quote for repairs to Charger

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Sam.......your missing the potential of this site here and in the other thread.

You've paid the subscription now let the forum guys help you.........you have Pete coming to you.....good step.

Why do you want a brand new car and inlet and nearly 700. As shown in the other thread, you'll get good condition second hand stuff for half that. Intake is a lump of metal......The carb can be freshened with a rebuild kit IF it's needed.

Mufflers........bet you could get a pair from someone on here in good condition for a lot less than new.

Get Pete to check it out and give you a list. Source it, beg, steal and borrow from club members if possible. Then get it to Anton..........Job job'd
:thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Dug out spare shaft

Picture tomorrow

Front joint mint
Yoke ok
Rear joint is dead

Based on measurement your shaft takes small dodge joints

UJ 7260.

Used in dodge trucks until the late 80s

U.S. Automotive. Will have them. Get a pair of greaseable body joints instead of a sealed for life joints if you can. (dana) Spicer make them

Unless your shaft is bent I doubt it needs a balance

Dave
Attachments
WP_20160203_001 (Small).jpg
WP_20160203_001 (Small).jpg (141.41 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
WP_20160203_002 (Small).jpg
WP_20160203_002 (Small).jpg (133.82 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Last edited by Dave999 on Thu Feb 04, 16 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Dave999 wrote:U.S. Automotive. Will have them. Get a pair of greaseable body joints instead of a sealed for life joints if you can. (dana) Spicer make them
Don't forget to tell US Automotive that you are an MMA member. You'll get discount on "in stock" items. I probably recoup my MMA membership cost each year through this one club benefit. :)
All we are is rust in the wind
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Dave81 wrote:
Mufflers........bet you could get a pair from someone on here in good condition for a lot less than new.

I think we've still got a pair of used but fairly good mufflers that could be incorporated into a new system, and only in Hitchin....

Let me know if you want us to double-check.
SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

Dave999 wrote:Dug out spare shaft

Picture tomorrow

Front joint mint
Yoke ok
Rear joint is dead

Your shaft takes small dodge joints

UJ 7260.

Used in dodge trucks until the late 80s

U.S. Automotive. Will have them. Get a pair of greaseable body joints instead of a sealed for life joints if you can. (dana) Spicer make them

Unless your shaft is bent I doubt it needs a balance

Dave
Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Pete is coming up on the 13th, let me know when I can pick the propshaft up, can only do weekends really.

I will contact US Automotive about the UJ.

Keep your kittens and handbags and gimme a V8 any day ☺
SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

Dave81 wrote:Sam.......your missing the potential of this site here and in the other thread.

You've paid the subscription now let the forum guys help you.........you have Pete coming to you.....good step.

Why do you want a brand new car and inlet and nearly 700. As shown in the other thread, you'll get good condition second hand stuff for half that. Intake is a lump of metal......The carb can be freshened with a rebuild kit IF it's needed.

Get Pete to check it out and give you a list. Source it, beg, steal and borrow from club members if possible. Then get it to Anton..........Job job'd
Hi, yes I will take all the help I can get! I can't afford to be ripped off but I don't know enough to do things myself so any help is really appreciated :thumbright:
SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

Dave999 wrote:
SammyH770 wrote:
Its all so mind-boggling, not sure what to do.

1) A 600 cfm vac sec holley carb and inlet manifold and gaskets (the whole lot) from Real Steel is £664.49 delivered.

2) I just spoke to Bailey Morris about the propshaft but I would need to take the propshaft out and take it to them, I can't do that, I wouldn't know how to get it out or put it back in.

3) I think the steering problem is going to be a big issue, if it has already been rebuilt then there's not much else can be done but there is so much play,

:cry:
1) get the inlet of Stu and Gareth and get a second hand carb

carb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holley-Carbur ... Sw9mFWNQ3S

looks like it lived in the sea

here is one at £60 with 3 days to go that looks nice

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holley-600CFM ... SwKtlWp8Et

although I'd buy one that some one is willing to say works.... like someone on here

2) I'll check my spare prop-shaft out tonight. you will need it before the weekend if you want uncle Pete to fit it. (I know he is just coming for a look but I'm doing my best to play on his conscience)

3) rebuilt but not adjusted. once adjusted it could be fine.

1st adjustment should be done with box off car by rebuilder as part of the rebuild
THE second is usually done on car
PROBABLY Not done by previous owner because he was not mechanically minded

he probably just fitted it as it was fresh from the rebuilder

1st adjustment
undo hex ring
whack the bloody box top round a bit
do up hex ring

2nd
adjust the sector mesh so the box is stiff in the middle with the wheels off the ground. once engine is running no stiffness will be noticed

Get Pete to do that.
Job done
He loves that kinda thing probably

Dave
I am watching the second one ;)
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

let me know when you want to come TW25RW I'll PM my address

or save 70 miles of M25 there and bacl and pick it up at WD18 9RN any time between 09:00 and 18:00 week days.

if we are going to be out i'll stick it in the Bin cupboard under the stairs to the house.

Apologies I only ever go up your way if I fancy a day somewhere flat with too much sky or I'm going to santa pod.

you could try here

http://www.moparuk.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=46

i'll see if I can get a better joint on it

its going to need the BIG Hammer

didn't find the one I'd seen recently last night but after weeks of engine wrangling the garage looks like a bomb hit it :)

Dave
SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

Dave999 wrote:let me know when you want to come TW25RW I'll PM my address

or save 70 miles of M25 there and bacl and pick it up at WD18 9RN any time between 09:00 and 18:00 week days.

if we are going to be out i'll stick it in the Bin cupboard under the stairs to the house.

Apologies I only ever go up your way if I fancy a day somewhere flat with too much sky or I'm going to santa pod.

you could try here

http://www.moparuk.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=46

i'll see if I can get a better joint on it

its going to need the BIG Hammer

didn't find the one I'd seen recently last night but after weeks of engine wrangling the garage looks like a bomb hit it :)

Dave
Great, thanks Dave, I will come to the Watford place as it is nearer, about an hour and a half from me so I'll leave work at 4 and should be there by six, I can only do Monday though?

The thing in the pic, that's a propshaft right? :oops: and is it a complete replacement for what is on the car? and I need to buy one UJ (the one you said in an earlier post? let me know how much you want for the propshaft too. What do you mean about a big hammer? lol
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

This would be killer in this application

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holley-465-Cf ... SwXshWrjOg

bit too spendy

Rare in the UK, have argued that these exist on this very message board
I have never seen one on UK ebay

but the 465 works very well on hemi 6s and 273 and 318 V8s

the aussies love it for all round duties on anything up to 351

small enough to make your car more of a stump puller

but big enough not to restrict top speed on the street

possibly not the best bet for drag racing but for towing your fishing boat full of snapper and bilge up the public slip.... EXCELLENT.

Dave
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

SammyH770 wrote:
Great, thanks Dave, I will come to the Watford place as it is nearer, about an hour and a half from me so I'll leave work at 4 and should be there by six, I can only do Monday though?

The thing in the pic, that's a propshaft right? :oops: and is it a complete replacement for what is on the car? and I need to buy one UJ (the one you said in an earlier post? let me know how much you want for the propshaft too. What do you mean about a big hammer? lol

Monday is fine

i'll PM you full address and phone number

Yep that's a prop shaft out of a wrecked VH 770 charger 318 v8

that I found in west Sussex car had had front wing taken out by a tree which had twisted the front chassis arm up

but was insurance write off "chassis must be destroyed" so I took everything else worthwhile

let me have another look for a joint and if I find it i'll put it on this weekend

that means it should just swap in.

Buying 1 spare new joint will be useful in case the front joint decides to die.... its a 20 quid part

all I did was clamp the yoke in my vice with a cloth round it and waggle the thing about. no obvious signs of ware no grittiness but I'm not going to twist it like a motor does due to my tiny ladies hands

you can have it it hasn't moved in 8 years

I'll take your old one at some point if you don't want it or buy me a pint at the nats

I only had it for cutting down to size. I once had a plan to fit a Toyota W58 5 speed manual gearbox to my car but once I saw the chassis hacking necessary and the cost of custom bellhousing clutchfork etc I change my mind. :)

yes your prop shaft is a big long metal cylinder with a swivel joint at each end. connects gearbox to axle

the shiny bit is the yoke it has a spline to the inside that slides over the output shaft of your transmission. it just slots in

it moves back and forth a bit as the rear suspension goes up and down
it has a seal around it to stop all the oil in your transmission falling out

the other end joint (the rustly looking one in the pictures) is clamped to the input on the axle by two tiny metal straps and 4 11 mm headed bolts

you wouldn't think that it takes the full torque of the engine but it does.

BIG HAMMER

the joint is held into the end of the shaft by metal cups (filled with rollers) that fit into the eyes in the end of the shaft you can see them in the pictures looking like they have never been hit with a socket and a big hammer

the cups tend to get stuck

so although last night I got the retaining clips off and gave it some attention with an old socket and a really BF Hammer

they didn't move

so its having a bath in WD40 at the mo.

and the BFH will come out again.

I don't own a press and my VICE aint big enough to push them out so I have to tap tap tap

1/2 hour job

Dave

how it all works

You Tube video from Mr Dana and Mrs Spicer showing how it all works

full written details

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks ... -101.shtml

and a picture (the bit with the red and green arrows either side

SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

Hi Dave,

I missed out on that holley carb on ebay (the second one) still got no internet at home yet. :(