tube frame (latest update 15/08/09 )

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

TrevD

Post by TrevD »

well the basic frame is now complete, only tacked together but all tubes are in place all it needs is some gusset plates (not necessary but i want them) then its tig weld it all and start the real build. splinter (he of mercury cougar fame ) poped round today and made some constructive criticism but he feels what i have done should tag to 8.5 easily (that would be nice). pics show the body mountings and the X bar (axle locator) front mounts.
too much is never enough
Rich

Post by Rich »

Spose Splinter should know a thing or 2 about a good chassis. Top work though Trev,cant tell whats what in some shots :oops: :D
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

RichDeb wrote:Spose Splinter should know a thing or 2 about a good chassis. Top work though Trev,cant tell whats what in some shots :oops: :D
i know what your saying, its all infront of me and i cant work out what it all does :oops: i will try to add more description to the pics in future (after all im an engineer not a journalist ;) ) splinter has pointed me in the right direction and i intend to get chris isacs round to have a look at the frame before i get it painted just in case i need to add anything. today i got the steering rack mounts completed, sory no pics yet but 2 bits of steel took 4 hours to produce, im glad im not paying for all this :D.
too much is never enough
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Nice work Trev, keep the updates coming, this is one thread I look forward to reading!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Bryan S

Post by Bryan S »

Trev it's the biz and a bit over my head building your own chassis.I thought it was great when i built my Deuce, but then i went and got a ready made chassic even then i had a lot of help from mates and how basic is that to this.B.
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

well its been a while but at last ive started the long process of tig welding it all. it all started last week, i spent most of the time practicing my welding before attempting to do any on the car. luckily Gary (gwak on here) is a top notch tig welder and 100% nice guy , the frame is in his workshop and im using all his equipment (and drinking his coffee :D). its going to take a few weekends to do it all, i will try to take the camera next time i go. my welds arnt as nice to look at as some of the profesional jobs but they are strong with full penetration so hopefully will do the job.
too much is never enough
db

Post by db »

Now that's restraint... i can sometimes make myself practice for 30 seconds or so before plungeing in and welding some vitally important part :oops:
I tend to go for too much heat, too much weld and tidy up with the grinder after :oops: :oops: :oops:
No-one will believe you...
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

im looking to get the welds looking good without the need to grind anything (i like the look of a good weld :D )
too much is never enough
Kev

Post by Kev »

A good weld is a thing of beauty ......Is that a weirdo, bloke only thing?
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
db

Post by db »

Kev wrote:A good weld is a thing of beauty ......Is that a weirdo, bloke only thing?
YES :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well it's looking good Trev.

You have put a good few days of TIG work in now so i think it's time for some update pics :)

After this weekends welding session I have got some nice burnt arms too, and there was me giving you advice on welding safety :oops:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

One of Trev's finest :thumbright:
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

cheers for posting the pic :thumbright: (glad you showed a good one :oops: ), a couple more weekends and you can have your workshop back. my arms are peeling now, looks like i sat in the sun all covered up except the top of my arms :oops:
too much is never enough
db

Post by db »

Ah yes, welders sunburn!!! I've usually got knackered jeans on so my knees get it too :roll:
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

well a bit of an update, the welding is nearing completion so should be home soon so i can start putting it together and working out what welds ive missed :oops: . today i picked up a few more parts, maybe pete can post a few pics of me collecting it :thumbright: . it was a trip to petes in a knackered transit towing an equaly knackered trailor (although both performed admirably and didnt cots a penny :) ) we loaded the body onto the trailor with a digger (thanks to roydon) and some inginuity, getting it off was simple , i tied it to my garage and drove away :D
too much is never enough