FAST Mustang

It's not Mopar, but we like it

Moderator: Moderators

latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

None of it equates with the tyres they use :?
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I'm fascinated by the FAST series, probably the most restrictive rules in drag racing, and yet they run times like this. There has to be some very expensive jiggery pokery going on here, must involve massive amounts of weight relocation for a start, these guys really are the masters of deception.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

:iagree:

Fascinating. When I go to the States next, I gotta get to one of these meets 8-)

At least you'll get to see some Mopars, unlike the World Street Finals :roll:
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Believe it - Dudek has 800HP, 14:1 CR, 0.7" lift, flat torque curve etc.
All the questions about how they can't do this on redlines etc have been around for years.
Here's the teardown article
http://fastraces.org/members/fastraces/ ... 66007ab773

Dyno sheet
http://www.dragzine.com/news/upgrading- ... oadrunner/

Like I said these guys are pushing the limits just like Stock and Superstock. These are not cheap or thrown together, they spend a LOT of time and money to get everything out of them, and whenever that happens it leads to headscratching. I dunno how they do it - but they do; stock casting heads and blocks, cast iron exhaust, AFB carbs etc etc.
138mph trap speed (on the brakes as well I understand!)

Awesome stuff
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

So were talking about roughly a 300hp increase in power over a stock 426 hemi engine cos we all know they were closer to 500 than the quoted 425, and from just 10.25 (I think std) to 14:1 increase in CR, race fuel, .7" lift from .550 or whatever std was and ported original casting heads with std exh manifolds, trick AFB's on a std manifold and still 426Ci.......what do you really think?...forget the dyno sheet, its that hp but, is all that worth 300 or more hp?......na I doubt it, think about it.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Les Szabo wrote:So were talking about roughly a 300hp increase in power over a stock 426 hemi engine cos we all know they were closer to 500 than the quoted 425, and from just 10.25 (I think std) to 14:1 increase in CR, race fuel, .7" lift from .550 or whatever std was and ported original casting heads with std exh manifolds, trick AFB's on a std manifold and still 426Ci.......what do you really think?...forget the dyno sheet, its that hp but, is all that worth 300 or more hp?......na I doubt it, think about it.
No Les, they are stock APPEARING. Anything inside the engine is OK as long as it sounds 'stock'. Strokers etc. No-one said anything about 426ci

Just go to the FAST website, look at the links, or Google any of these guys, there is loads of info on the cars the rules etc etc.
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Followed some of the progress of a few FAST Mopar money pits thru' the pages of Mopar Action, well impressed with the tech that they employ. We could learn loads from these cars, although if I'd poured in excess of $100k into a car I'd want it to look like Godzilla, not some Pebble Beach concourse trailer queen :roll:
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote:So were talking about roughly a 300hp increase in power over a stock 426 hemi engine cos we all know they were closer to 500 than the quoted 425, and from just 10.25 (I think std) to 14:1 increase in CR, race fuel, .7" lift from .550 or whatever std was and ported original casting heads with std exh manifolds, trick AFB's on a std manifold and still 426Ci.......what do you really think?...forget the dyno sheet, its that hp but, is all that worth 300 or more hp?......na I doubt it, think about it.
LES THE MAIN ASTOUNDING THING TO ME IS THEM GETTIN THEM TO HOOK UP, sorry about the caps, as you know a poor launch ruins the et,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

well yeah tbh your right, hadn't even got to that part yet, we all know what it normally takes to hook 500hp let alone 780+ and on those tyres!, some very good stuff going on there.

ok, just read the head off inspection of the 496 hemi bit, sorry guys.....and impressive it is, he certainly has the horsepower at 132+mph
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Yes I totally agree, hooking those Polyglas tyres is amazing.

Dudek has run the car with slicks (not for a FAST race). Can't remember the numbers (tho easily googled), but obviously was a handy bit faster - but not seconds, obviously the car is set up especially to leave on the bias plys. Not just the chassis, but the cam, fuel and timing must be integral to that...I guess!!
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Scanned from January's Hemmings Muscle Machines:

Hope you can read them ok...

Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

incredible , wheeli and wrinklin tires

they must either be pure drag race copies of the original type tires ,, or the owners are melting them with some sort of ridiculous rubber melting softener stuff

no way can you get a regular tioe to behave like that
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Arent they more likely to deform than radials tho, being old bias-ply type tyres?

The text says they are 'reproduction Polyglas tires', so I wouldnt be too surprised to find that theyre having them custom made to look like the originals, rather than just off-the-shelf repros :-k
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Whichever way you look at it, those figures are downright incredible...I love the whole concept of factory appearing stuff running nines and as it said in the copy, that under bonnet finish could win concours events :shock:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

14.00 TIRES AND WHEELS AND BRAKES
14.01 Wheels must be correct*, including correct* diameter, width and material.
Note: Width may be upgraded to a maximum of 6”, if the correct* wheel is narrower than that. Reproduction wheels OK.
14.02 All 4 wheels and tires must be same size.
Exception: Mopar TA Challenger came from factory with G-60’s on rear and F-60’s on front.
14.03 Original equipment reproduction bias-ply tires only. No soft compound tires of any kind are allowed. Retread tires are not allowed. Any car is allowed to upgrade to a maximum size tire of G-70 of the correct* wheel diameter. All cars that were originally available with a 60 series tire can upgrade to a maximum size of G-60 tire of the correct* wheel diameter.
Exception: First time F.A.S.T. participants are allowed to run normal ’non-sticky’ street radials for their first F.A.S.T. race.
14.04 Aftermarket or OEM brake upgrades are allowed for safety concerns. Every effort should be made to achieve a stock appearance.
14.05 Line locks are allowed if hidden.

OK, like any motorsport, and especially a class as restrictive as this, they will push the rules to the limits, maybe even beyond in some cases. But it's not like the tyres are some internal engine part that is tough to examine. You can be sure that those tyres are regularly scrutinised, if not by the sanctioning body (they are) then by the competition.
I think the fact is that they are running tyres very close to original PolyGlas bias ply tyres. I don't know how they do it, but they do. Who would have believed a super stocker could run in the 8's twenty years ago? But they do because racers are innovative and relentless!!