Chromapart

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Chromapart

Post by Anonymous »

One of my mates has just opened a new business in Kent. They can chrome Metal, Plastic, ABS, Urethane, Fibreglass, Wood, Styrofoam, Polypropylene, Polyethylene and other non conductive materials. Not only can they do Silver Chrome but other colours and Custom finishes too. They can also supply coloured leather with a twist for interiors or your girlfriends underwear!

Check them out and mention my name (Steve - Autoholic) for a favourable response!!

www.chromapart.co.uk
Jim

Post by Jim »

That's interesting. Re-chroming plastic is always a problem. A lot of B-body dash parts are chromed plastic which often looks scruffy when it's old. I know some people have sent their plastic parts to the States for re-chroming.

Anyway, can your friend re-chrome plastic?
That involves removing the old chrome first.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

All items have to be prepped prior to them taking them at the moment. They will be expanding to incorporate a prep department but that is in the future.
But in answer to your question, yes plastic is not a problem.
Nik, one of the partners, owns a Chevy Astro van which runs 20 inch wheels. The wheels are chrome and the centre caps have been Chromaparted. It is impossible to tell the difference, and I've looked closely.
Why not give them a call and tell them who sent you!
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Does he do blokes skiddies in Magenta? :lol:
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Looks nice! Seems to be a 'Chrome' paint rather than plating from the sound of it, which would make it easier and cheaper than actual chrome plating, especially for plastics. The website reckoned about ?100 for a bumper, which I think is cheaper than actual chrome plating. Worth thinking about!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I would imagine a genuine old fashoined type chroming department would charge quite a bit more than that..........

.........be in touch. :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes it's like paint so ideal for bumpers and plastics. Unlike chrome it won't corrode over time and you have have just about any colour chrome you can think of. They have already done some wheels and stuff, and in their showroom they have an emblem off a Jag so that you can make the comparison yourself.

Magenta skiddies.........??? Nothing's impossible!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Any colour? Wow sounds even better.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I've seen this stuff about and its really rather impressive. I'll be getting some done, or buying in the stuff and having a go myself. I believe theres two formulations or materials used and one is OK in a normal spray gun and the other (the better type) has to be applied with special equipment (which is what I understand this guy is doing).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

This process does involve special equipment and the use of water with 0.0000 % impurities. They have bought a full spray booth and water filteration process to enable them to keep everything in house. They are doing a crash helmet for me so be sure there will be pictures posted and I will be carrying it in the Dart so people can take a look for themselves.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

exactly the same product as here

http://www.mopartalk.co.uk/mopartalk/vi ... php?t=4679

same supplier in the states is my guess

I posted this maybe 2 months ago, asked what everyone thought, Jeff was the only one to reply :roll:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Maybe the same supplier, seem very similar. Howver Nik's process cannot be replicated for the DIY'er. It' has to be done in a totally dust free enviroment amongst other things.

Look out for a helmet he is doing for me so that I can help promote his business next summer!