Weatherstrip glueing ....and stories of the '70's

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Weatherstrip glueing ....and stories of the '70's

Post by Garp »

Evening all,
Just unboxed a full replacement set of window/door/trunk rubber weather seals that Steve @ Langys got me - arrived fast at a very reasonable agreement.
So, question is : what's the best and dependable rubber glue to install these with ? Obviously, the instructions call for "Black Rubber Weatherstrip Glue" but I clearly omitted to order any ........
I'm harking back to when I was a kid and we used to fix punctures, instead of just call out some bike-RAC-chap, we used to have something called rubber vulcanising adhesive. Sounds like an extra from William Shatner's drunk hooker parties, but I swear it did exist ...... Basically, apply to both surfaces, go and drink a cola and play a game of pinball - when you came back, both surfaces were as dry as bone but the minute they mated !!!!!
Any hints here .... EvoStick ?
Thanks all
Garp
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Evostick :thumbright: Rubber solution,solvent law stopped kids buying a puncture outfit for their bike,they might sniff the stuff. Still available from real bike shops,not halfords. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELDTITE-VULC ... ME3-dfS_RQ
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I replaced the boot seal on my Charger a couple years ago, glued it in position with Evostick and it's never moved or leaked. Smells great too :D
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

If you can get it (or are prepared to pay for it!) you can't go wrong with 3M Black weatherstrip adhesive - I've heard it recommended a million times and that is what I used for my weatherstrips. You get get it in the black or the 'gorilla snot' yellow, but the black is good because its inconspicuous.
Having said that, I used Evostick for the convertible top and had no trouble at all, the colour did not matter there.

No doubt there are other good brands, I'd just want to use something that I knew was good....
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
db

Post by db »

I used Tigerseal (or a cheaper version of).
Brilliant stuff and not very expensive.
No-one will believe you...