E-Body - Brake Upgrades

Moderator: Moderators

Faux-7-0

E-Body - Brake Upgrades

Post by Faux-7-0 »

Greetings All:

As you may have seen from the build thread, Faux, my 72 Challenger, now has wheels so I'm exploring options to upgrade both front disks and rear drums. There are a number of kits available to convert rear drums to disks but the only after-market option for the front seems to be a like for like 11" diameter disk unless you've a drum brake car and then, typically, there are a plethora of options.

So, whilst I've asked Cannonball to review his stash of parts in case he has a pair of drum brake spindles squirrelled away, I'd be interested to receive any comments/experiences/suggestions to factor into my thinking.

Thanks in advance.
Alan; whose 72 Challenger is inexorably taking over the house.
Matt

Re: E-Body - Brake Upgrades

Post by Matt »

If you're up for buying from the US then email Cass at http://www.doctordiff.com/ with questions.
He has a great reputation in the US for knowing his stuff and providing setups that work well.
I've just bought front and rear disc kits from him for my 70 Cuda. I emailed him a few questions before buying and his answers were spot on.

THanks

Matt
Pete

Post by Pete »

If you know what you are doing, you can put 12" discs on the front for not a lot of money ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Agree that Cass (DrDiff) is a good option, I've dealt with him too. As Pete hinted, the larger Mopar 11.75" front discs are easy to convert to if you have disc brake spindles, especially the 7(2 or 3?) onwards . All you need are caliper mounting brackets for the larger discs which you can either try and find used or now available repo'd I believe, and you can use all stock parts. All famously documented by the originator of this decades ago. https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/br ... -main.html

Depending on how far you want to go you can then go to viper or other calipers, or like you say plenty of aftermarket options. Personally I wouldn't bother with rear discs but to each his own - there are some good kits and also E-Berg has just done another rear brake upgrade using Chrysler parts.....(recent Mopar Action)

Or if you still want and can't get drum spindles, I think I still have mine (from my 71).
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

Thanks to all for the responses - food for thought.
Alan; whose 72 Challenger is inexorably taking over the house.