Page 1 of 1

Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 26 11:34 pm
by Steve
I've always been into bikes but haven't had one since I bought my Dodge 15 years ago.....but...... I've always had the itch to get another one before I'm too old to enjoy it.

In my youth I had 125s and later in life Fireblades, GSXRs, Blackbirds etc but I have to say that the need for speed departed long ago. Been looking for a while and found a very nice and very affordable 1984 Honda CD200. I have to say it's getting on for the best fun I've ever had on a bike. It's great round the country lanes here, buzzes along nicely around 50mph and uses a thimbleful a mile. It handles and stops nicely and is light and easy on my dodgy knees. Great fun!!



:thumbright: :thumbright:

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 6:29 am
by cadboy
Very nice Steve enjoy :thumbright:

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 8:15 am
by Steve
Thanks Ali. With fuel prices as they are, she will probably see more miles than the Dodge for now

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 9:51 am
by Pete
My first Road bike was a Honda CD175, perfect commuter bike, great fun.

I still bimble around on bikes, I have had this one for over 10 years now...

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 10:43 am
by Steve
That's beautiful Pete. I've never ridden a chopper and don't think I could to be honest. I always thought the riding position looks really uncomfortable, especially on the old lower back. :shock:

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 2:00 pm
by Pete
No denying it Steve, it is tough.

Not like a proper bike......

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 7:52 pm
by SAV@RPM
I’m still riding. 1967 Triumph TR6C, American export sold new at Johnson Motors on the west coast. I’ve owned it over 25 years. 1976 Kawasaki KH400 also sold new in America. Totally different to ride but both brilliant in their own way.
IMG_0361.jpeg
IMG_0361.jpeg (297.4 KiB) Viewed 395 times
IMG_9770.jpeg
IMG_9770.jpeg (275.97 KiB) Viewed 395 times

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 8:19 pm
by Pete
They are fantastic, Martin.

I think Roy ("Slowhand" on here) has a similar trials Triumph like that.

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 8:35 pm
by Mick70RR
My bike, I've owned this for around 6 years but it doesnt do many miles. I was out on it today for a quick spin. 1960 BSA A10.
VBK 808 small.jpg
VBK 808 small.jpg (135.97 KiB) Viewed 383 times

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 8:56 pm
by Pete
Very nice, Mick. I have never ridden one of those...

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 9:00 pm
by Mick70RR
It takes a bit of getting used to after riding Japanese bikes Pete. Gear lever on the right, one up three down.

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 9:07 pm
by Steve
All lovely bikes!!! Thanks for the pics.

Mine is nowhere near as exotic as any of those bikes but I deliberately didn't want to tie up cash in something so I can visit my kids but still enjoy a bit of 'grass roots' fun riding.

She takes me right back to being about 10 and going on the back of my dad's CB125 in the mid 70s. Dad bought me an SL125 that was in boxes in the early 80s and I managed to rebuild it and go greenlaning. Great memories that have come flooding back to me with this bike. I can't say any of the big bikes I've had stir up that emotion in me. I have fond memories of the TT etc but most of the time I would get back from rides out and be looking at the letterbox for weeks after hoping my licence was still in one piece. No danger with the Benly but she certainly makes me smile 😊

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 9:13 pm
by Pete
Mick70RR wrote: Tue Oct 06, 26 9:00 pm It takes a bit of getting used to after riding Japanese bikes Pete. Gear lever on the right, one up three down.
I had a T150 Trident for a time, but could not really get on with it - possibly due to the Right Foot shift; but I never really had Japanese bikes for long once I had passed my test.

I had plenty of Ducati's and Moto Guzzi's though.

Re: Scratching a Non Mopar itch

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 26 10:35 pm
by Mick70RR
The one thing that I really like about the A10 is the Chronometric speedo. The needle updates the speed every 0.8 seconds so it moves around the dial in steps. They were originally used in aircraft before the second world war. I wish Mopar had used them instead of magnetic drive speedos with the wobbly needle. More info here
chronometrics.co.uk