A rusty E-body question

Moderator: Moderators

MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

You're right Steve, it is a poor design. In rebuilding mine I've sealed all along the internal seam and given a nice smooth (and downward) path for the water to travel. I think the other problem is that debris can get through the cowl vents and sit there trapping water. If I can find an unobtrusive way of putting a finer mesh or something underneath the plastic cowl vents I'll do it.

here's a pic of the panel in question....the holes that I know are diff between AC & non-AC are the big one on the left etc, and as you can see it's the same panel as the fresh air vent on the right (as viewed).

there may also be extra holes in the cowl itself (the bit not attached in this pic) I know they were different on later E-bodies
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Here is the Air Con bulkhead to compare with gavin's shot above.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Steve, it will be, it will be! I doubt yours was a bad as mine (the 'before' shot in my post above), and look at it after a new cowl and a bit more repair!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here