air shocks on 71 satellite

Moderator: Moderators

Holly

Post by Holly »

They do that when they get old - mine on the '72 Charger were permanently up!

Luckily they're quite cheap to replace, but you might want to consider checking the springs - over time they sag a little; they can often be re-arched, which is cheaper than buying new.

Don't make it a habit of driving around with the air shocks pumped up though or you'll end up with more expensive problems to worry about!
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Get new springs and normal type shocks from ESPO in the States. Throw the air shocks in the bin.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Monoleafs are the way to go

Come in 1" lower, stock height, 1" higher as standard, then any curve within the confines of the eye to eye distance is available

Strange looking things admittedly BUT they work, are cheaper than any stock spring for a Mopar, front section isn't like a peice of cardboard so won't and can't bend. Add in a 12 hole front mounting and you get more ride height adjustability than you can shake a stick at.

Front section is very thick and rigid all this really does is anchor the rear end into the car, rear section is where the suspension is.

Designed by Caltrac but work just as well on a full race car or cruiser

Did I mention they are lighter than stock springs :)
Holly

Post by Holly »

Go on then, enlighten us - whats the damage for a pair of those? Got pics of them in situ?
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

That's strange? :? I just checked out the ESPO website and there is no mention of leaf springs?? Yet I know people that have got their springs from there and were very happy with the price and service. I wonder if they have stopped doing them for some reason?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Around £140 each, which considering the weight of a stock spring I guarantee you can't get a stocker here for that.

Pictures..... type into google Caltrac.... find the caltrac site go to the picture gallery. All the air pictures.... they aint using mopar springs and pinion snubbers
Holly

Post by Holly »

Handy to know, Neil, ta :)
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Dave, I'm similarly confused...agree with everything you said about ESPO, they have a great reputation and will make custome arched springs for you too...but I also couldn't find leafsprings on any of their sites (they have espo, springsnthings and some others covered). I'm sure they won't have stopped doing them, odd though.
I got the MP HD springs which I was very happy with. I have heard a few complaints that they sit a little lower than stock but mine were just right and exactly the ride I wanted.

Didn't know Caltrac did springs as well, they def look worth investigating!
http://www.calvertracing.com/lspring/leafspring.htm
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Holly

Post by Holly »

Sounds like the shock on the bouncy side is leaking, and the other has a saggy spring. With consistent hard launches the right-hand spring will get more punishment - is that the saggy one?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gavin.. Caltrac Bars bend the top leaf of a stocker as it's so thin so they got it sorted by monoleafs.

the front section is huge so the bars can apply whatever upward force and the spring won't fold, they just realised same spring works great on the cruiser too, normal axle wrap is stopped dead, higher HP wrap is used with the bars to load the tyres at a much better ratio than a pinion snubber

Snubber comes forward what 8" and puts the force onto the floor, caltracs put the deal right at the spring eyes, leverage is greater
Holly

Post by Holly »

Like I say, they can get stuck, but then the back end will be rock solid!