Removing Door Mirror Glass?

Moderator: Moderators

Bilko

Removing Door Mirror Glass?

Post by Bilko »

Has anyone got any tips on how to remove/replace the glass in door mirrors?

Don't want to break it out if there is a better way.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Glue a new Mirror over the top of old :?
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
db

Post by db »

The only thing I can think of is to boil it in a pan (when your wife's out) til the glue gives up.
I've not tried it but it might work?
No-one will believe you...
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

is it bonded in or is it popped in?

mine is popped in

the glass is too small for the shell lip by about 1/2 mm

it has a plastic surround that is bigger than the lip of the shell on its outer profile and smaller than the glass in its inner profile

i push the glass back against the spring which takes it out of the inner profile of its plastic frame which usually stays in place round the inside of the shell opening

twist out the plastic frame
and the glass is free to come out

the plastic however gets brittle and nobody makes em anymore

the spring inisde provides pressure to keep glass in at one end and pressure on the ball and socket for the mount onto the mirror stem at the other

mine is an aussie mirror.

to re assemble glas in first

forec in frame

jiggle about for hours until its fits

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

It's bonded. If it is the drivers side remote adjustable one that's broken you have your work cut out.
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Dave wrote:It's bonded. If it is the drivers side remote adjustable one that's broken you have your work cut out.
It's both mirrors Dave. Not broken but glass but is 'cloudy' for some reason. I think new glass over old might be the way to go.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Bilko wrote:
Dave wrote:It's bonded. If it is the drivers side remote adjustable one that's broken you have your work cut out.
It's both mirrors Dave. Not broken but glass but is 'cloudy' for some reason. I think new glass over old might be the way to go.
Have you tried some oribital buffing complete with a very light cutting compound!

I'm sure I've seen someone do this on a mirror and it removes clouding!!? :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Dave81 wrote:
Bilko wrote:
Have you tried some oribital buffing complete with a very light cutting compound!

I'm sure I've seen someone do this on a mirror and it removes clouding!!? :thumbright:
Have your tried white vinegar and scrunched up newspaper first...........?
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Bilko wrote:
If it is on the surface of the glass it will polish off. I would get the brasso out.

But if it is the silvering on the reverse oxidising then new glass is the only way to go.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Heat is usually recommended when I've seen this question asked. I did my passenger side with a heat gun OK with this method. But I couldn't do the drivers side, in the end I broke the glass to get it out. But if it's knackered I guess that shouldn't really be an issue.
The glass is held on to the metal backing plate with four spots of black adhesive. Trouble is the metal has a lip all around the edge which makes it VERY difficult to get something underneath it, like a flat blade or a wire to cut the adhesive (like when doing a windscreen). I tried that with limited success

Personally I wouldn't bond new over the old glass - honestly I think it would look a bit naff.
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Yeah Gavin is right. I never figured out how to do the drivers side at all. Looked a nightmare.
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

How about using a heat gun, then using a small suction cup (the type used for pulling dents out of body panels) to get the glass off???
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

I've given the glass a good clean and it's a bit better so might leave it be. Loads of micro scratches but these can't be see from a distance.
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Bilko wrote:I've given the glass a good clean and it's a bit better so might leave it be. Loads of micro scratches but these can't be see from a distance.
As Dave 81 said. Buffing the glass with cutting compound and an orbital /DA will bring it up a treat.
My plastic lenses on the Jeep were cloudy. My brother buffed them to like new ! :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Decided to try something I read online and soaked the mirror in Goo Gone and left overnight. Had a look tonight and the glass popped out easily in one piece! Straightforward swap for new glass now as the silvering has gone on the old one and I can now tighten up the mirror as it had become 'floppy'.
Attachments
IMG_3586.jpg
IMG_3586.jpg (238.4 KiB) Viewed 980 times